The Cherokee Islamic Connection

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      The Cherokee Islamic Connection

      Digging For The Red Roots

      by
      Mahir Abdal Razzaq El

      My name is Mahir Abdal Razzaq El and I am a Cherokee
      Blackfoot American Indian who is Muslim. I am known as
      Eagle Sun Walker. I serve as a Pipe Carrier Warrior
      for the NorthEastern Band of Cherokee Indians in New
      York City.There are other Muslims in our group. For
      the most part, not many people are aware of the Native
      American contact with Islam that began over a thousand
      years ago by some of the early Muslim travelers who
      visited us. Some of these Muslim travelers ended up
      living up among our people.

      For most Muslims and non-Muslims of today , this type
      of information is unknown and has never been mentioned
      in any of the the history books. There are many
      documents,treaties,legislation and resolutions that
      were passed between 1600s and 1800s that show that
      Muslims were in fact here and were very active in the
      comunities in which they lived. Treaties such as Peace
      and Friendship that was signed on the Delaware River
      in the year 1787 bear the signitures of Abdel-Khak and
      Muhammed Ibn Abdullah. This treaty details our
      continued right to exist as a community in the areas
      of commerce, maritime, shipping, current form of
      government at that time which was i accordance with
      Islam. According to a federal court case from the
      Continental Congress, we help put the breath of life
      into the newly framed costitution. All of the
      documents are presently in the National Archives as
      well as the Library of Congress.

      If you have access to records in the state of South
      Carolina , read the Moors sundry Act of 1790. In a
      future article, Inshallah, i will go into more details
      about the various tribes , their languages; in which
      some are influenced by Arabic, Persian, Hebrew words.
      almost all of the tribes vocabulary include the word
      "Allah" The traditional dress code for Indian women
      includes the kimah and long dresses.For men , standard
      fare is turbans and long tops that come down to the
      knees. If you were to look at any of the old books on
      Cherokee clothing up until the time of 1832, you will
      see the men wearing turbans and the women wearing long
      head coverings. The last Cherokee chief who had a
      Muslim name was Ramadhan Ibn Wati of the Cherokees in
      1866.

      Cities across the United States and Canada bear names
      that are of Indian and Islamic derivation. Have you
      ever wondered what the name Tallahassee means? It
      means that He Allah will deliver you sometime in the
      future.

      Forwarded by
      La Voz de Aztlan
      http://www.aztlan.net