Noam Chomsky: Advocacy and Realism

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2004
      Advocacy and Realism

      A reply to Noah Cohen
      by Noam Chomsky; August 26, 2004

      [This is a reply to an article by Noah Cohen,
      which in turn is a response to an interview
      Chomsky gave with Shalom and Podur several months
      ago.]

      Noah Cohen's charges raise some interesting
      questions about advocacy, principle, and realism,
      which have much broader applications. Let's focus
      on his particular case - defense of Palestinian
      rights -- bringing up the broader issues in this
      context. The core question, then, has to do with
      the stands that can be taken by people with
      serious concerns for the fate of the Palestinians,
      who have suffered severely and face an even more
      miserable future unless we find ways to reverse
      the processes now underway, for which we bear
      considerable responsibility and accordingly, can
      influence if we choose.

      Read the rest on
      http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=22&ItemID=6110