Alfred Lilienthal: Why Anti-Semitism?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      Any time that we hear that Jews are "suddenly"
      being persecuted, we have to ask what is really
      going on. Are their opponents attacking them only
      because they are Jews?

      Why The Rise In Anti-Semitism In Europe?
      By Dr. Alfred M. Lilienthal, author of "What Price Israel?"

      WASHINGTON (PINA) - An op-ed piece by Abraham
      Foxman, head of the Anti-Defamation League,
      entitled "Europe's Anti-Israel Excuse" appeared in
      the Washington Post on June 26, 2002. Foxman
      claims to believe that the growing criticism in
      Europe of Israeli misconduct somehow equals a
      resurgence of anti-Semitism similar to the dark
      Hitler era. For that matter, he makes an even far
      wider claim that this supposed new rise in the old
      anti-Semitism is somehow central to all human
      experience:

      "Throughout history a constant barometer for
      judging the level of hate and exclusion vs. the
      level of freedom and democracy in any society has
      been anti-Semitism -- how a country treats its
      Jewish citizens. Jews have been persecuted and
      delegitimized throughout history because of their
      perceived differences. Any society that can
      understand and accept Jews is typically more
      democratic, more open and accepting of 'the
      other.' This predictor has held true throughout
      the ages."

      Here in Foxman's own words, we have a prime
      example of the kind of egocentric and grandiose
      preoccupation with his Jewishness that tends to
      give other Jews a bad name. What hogwash that
      throughout all of human history and throughout all
      the societies that have ever existed, the world
      has somehow revolved around the status of "The
      Jews!"

      This claim of unique Jewish specialness is
      preposterous and offensive. If the Irish, the
      Chinese, the Arabs, the Catholics, the Buddhists,
      or any other ethnic or religious group made such a
      ridiculous universal claim about themselves, we
      would likely find it both disgusting and
      laughable. Foxman makes this absurd statement, but
      if we dare to say it is absurd, immediately he
      would counter that we are anti-Semitic to say so.

      A half century ago there were only a few of us
      Jews in America who were willing to be openly
      anti-Zionist and publicly question Israel's brutal
      conduct toward the Arab inhabitants of Palestine.
      Rabbi Elmer Berger and I used to tangle with the
      Anti-Defamation League even way back then. We were
      labeled self-hating Jews, and our criticisms of
      Zionism were thus largely dismissed. Berger passed
      on from this world in 1996, but I am still around
      to attempt to refute the many distortions of
      Abraham Foxman and the present ADL.

      Fortunately, I am no longer alone in my old age
      to make these challenges! Younger Jewish people in
      America and Europe and throughout the world are
      now bravely and eloquently speaking out. The
      Washington Post printed on July 6, 2002 the
      following Letter to the Editor by a Board Member
      of "Jews for Peace in Palestine and Israel":

      REST OF ARTICLE AT:

      http://www.alfredlilienthal.com/whytherise.htm