Israel Tests Missile in California

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Arrow anti-missile defense system successfully tested in U.S.
      By Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent
      30/07/2004 04:23

      http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/458022.html

      [Photo of Arrow missile being launched during a test at an American
      base in California on Thursday. (Israel Aircraft Industries)]

      Israel and the United States on Thursday held a successful test of
      the Arrow anti-ballistic missile system - the world's only
      operational missile killer system - off the coast of California.

      The Defense Ministry and the Israel Aircraft Industries announced
      Thursday that the Arrow successfully intercepted an incoming Scud
      ballistic missile, in flight over the Pacific Ocean.

      The realistic test of the Arrow ABM system was the first of its kind
      and had been planned for two years.

      Since the last Gulf War, Israel - with U.S. financial backing - has
      developed the Arrow anti-missile missile,

      At approximately 8:25 P.M. Israel time, a Scud missile, confiscated
      by the United States from Iraq, was launched from a U.S. Naval Air
      Warfare Center, at Point Magu near Los Angeles. The Scud was
      identified and fixed by the system's radar, Green Pine, and it
      directed an Arrow missile at the target, intercepting it fully.

      This "realistic scenario could not be carried out in Israel because
      of safety reasons" a Defense Ministry announcement said.

      This was the 12th test of an Arrow missile and the 7th of the overall
      system, that includes the Green Pine radar.

      Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz described the results of the test
      as "being further proof for the technological superiority of the
      Israeli defense industries."

      "We are in an age of uncertainty. Countries in the third sphere
      continue in their efforts to acquire non-conventional capabilities
      along with abilities at long-range launches," Mofaz said.

      Aryeh Herzog, in charge of the project at the Defense Ministry and
      the Israel Air Force, said that "we are all happy. The operational
      implication [of the test] is that the Air Force has an exceptional
      system.

      "We have known it all along, but now we have added proof. We will
      continue development. We want to achieve capabilities against future
      threats, such as those being developed in Iran."

      The Arrow was developed following the 1991 Gulf War, when the Patriot
      system proved to be less than successful, with few of its missiles
      managing to intercept the dozens of Scuds that fell in Israel.

      The Arrow has been operational for some years, and two Arrow
      batteries are deployed in central Israel.