The Corruptions of Patriotism

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2004
      Blind Loyalty to an Empire of Greed: The Corruptions of Patriotism
      By GLEN T. MARTIN

      10/05/03: (Counterpunch) The United States administers a global
      empire. This used to be a secret. Through the 1990s, our government
      told us that we stood for democracy, freedom, and independence of
      nations worldwide (lying to us). But the majority of U.S. citizens
      refused to critically examine their government out of patriotism.
      Sheeplike, we acted in defiance of the founding fathers of our nation
      who distrusted the power of government, who realized that small acts
      of terrorism (which existed then as now) were nothing compared to the
      potential for tyranny from those who wield governmental powers.

      From the late 1940s to the 1990s, most citizens of the U.S. thought
      that patriotism meant blind faith in the pronouncements of our
      leaders, even when the public statements of Truman, Eisenhower,
      Kennedy, Nixon, Johnson, Ford, Carter, Regan, Bush, and Clinton were
      shown by a few decent and honest critics in this country to be one
      lie after another. They told us we stood for "democracy" against
      the "evil empire" of the Soviet Union and people (like children)
      wanted to be patriotic and believe the lies from Washington.

      Meanwhile the U.S. government secretly overthrew the democratic
      governments in Iran in 1953, Guatemala in 1954, carpet bombed
      Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia in the 1960s and 70s, helped install a
      dictator in Indonesia in 1965 (at the cost of half a million lives),
      overthrew the democratic government of Chile in 1973 and destroyed
      the democratic government of Nicaragua with a terrorist army based in
      Honduras in the 1980s. The list goes on and on, and any informed,
      honest citizen will be well aware of it.

      But such blind patriotism destroys democracy and corrupts the people
      who blindly follow their corrupt and deceitful leaders. Today, we
      reap the whirlwind, the judgment of God, so to speak, the
      consequences of our trashing the vision of the founding fathers. For
      today, our leaders no longer keep it a secret. They openly admit and
      act on the truth that the United States runs a brutal, world-wide
      empire based on the immense military might of the Pentagon and the
      immense domination of U.S. multinational corporations over the global
      economy.

      The Bush government does not even try to cover up its lies. It simply
      makes all public records that world expose its lies "top secret." It
      openly censors and suppresses the truth, and we do not care because
      our patriotism has corrupted us to this sorry extent. They know they
      can count on the loyality of the majority of the U.S. who are
      willingly coopted by the thinnest and most transparent tissue of lies.

      We openly invade sovereign nations, ignoring the United Nations and
      world opinion. We led NATO to do this to Yugoslavia in 1998 (killing
      many more innocent civilians than were killed in the 9/11 attacks on
      the World Trade Center). We bombed the towns and villages of
      Afghanistan, destroying more homes and lives or poor, innocent
      peasants (men, women, and children) in that bleeding country than
      were killed during 9/11. And we openly invaded, conquered, and
      established a military dictatorship in Iraq in defiance of world
      opinion and the United Nations, again killing thousands more innocent
      civilians than were killed in 9/11.

      Democracy has its moral basis in truth, tolerance, freedom, and
      respect for human dignity. These are all universal values. If we are
      loyal to these universal values, then we cannot at the same time be
      blindly loyal to one government or nation. We corrupted ourselves
      with our blind patriotism of the late 1940s to 1990s to the point
      where patriotism today most often means openly supporting the empire
      (under self-serving lies like "liberating Iraq"), the oppression of
      freedom worldwide, global economic exploitation and domination, and
      even the suppression of freedom at home.

      Those honest people who believe in universal values should not
      attempt to redefine "patriotism" so that it looks as if holding
      universal values is what is "really" patriotic. We need to repudiate
      that term. Decent and honest people resist the empire out of
      universal moral values, out of justice, not out of patriotism. It is
      universal values like justice and compassion that make us human.
      Patriotism only divides us from our suffering brothers and sisters
      worldwide.

      Our war against the poor majority in Columbia who are struggling for
      a decent society used to be covered up under the lie of a "war on
      drugs." Today, in Columbia, we send ever more billions of dollars in
      weapons and training to the country with the worst human rights
      record of the past three decades while openly declaring that we are
      trying to crush its revolution. We no longer hide our global lust for
      world-wide domination. Patriotism corrupts, and absolute patriotism
      corrupts absolutely.

      Recently, our unelected, dictatorial President George W. Bush visited
      Africa, beginning with the country of Senegal in West Africa.
      According to one Senegal witness, just before his visit 1500 people
      were arbitrarily arrested and jailed for the duration of his visit.
      U.S. military planes flew over the capital city of Dakar night and
      day so the people could not even sleep for the noise. About 700 U.S.
      security personnel arrived with their dogs, their own cars, and high
      tech equipment. They would not even let Senegal security personnel
      near the U.S. President.

      Bush even brought his own armchair and furniture and would not use
      Senegal furnishings. All trees in places where Bush passed were cut
      down, some of them over 100 years old. All roads going downtown
      (where schools, hospitals, and businesses are located) were closed
      down during his visit. People were not allowed to go to school, the
      hospital, or work. The list of indignities continues. One Senegal
      economist estimated that this poor country lost an immense amount of
      money by being shut down in this way by the visit of the American
      President.

      The message, of course, was that the United States is the world
      dominator and that these poor and weak countries are in effect ours
      to do what we want with. The arrogance and lack of respect for the
      people of Senegal are astonishing. These arrangements remind one
      distinctly of Caesar, Napoleon, the Czar, Hitler, or Stalin. They are
      the actions of world dominators surveying the empire with utter
      disdain for the people whose lives and economies they crush.

      Any informed person knows that Bush and his junta are utterly
      corrupt. They openly assign multi-billion dollar contracts to their
      former business partners without any competitive bidding. They openly
      represent the big oil companies in Alaska, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
      They openly oppose environmental regulations for their friends in big
      business. They openly lie. They openly defy world opinion and invade
      any country they please.

      The really sad part is that our absolute patriotism has corrupted us:
      we, the people in the United States. We are no longer outraged by
      anything our government does. We are blindly obedient and, therefore,
      have thrown away the moral basis of our existence as human beings and
      as a country. That moral basis rested on loyalty to the universal
      values of truth, tolerance, freedom, and respect for human dignity.
      Blind patriotism, loyalty, and obedience to one nation or government
      are not legitimate moral values. As a nation, we have corrupted
      ourselves absolutely.

      Glen T. Martin is Professor of Philosophy and Religious Studies at
      Radford University in Southwest Virginia and President of
      International Philosophers for Peace.

      Copyright: Glen T. Martin

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21 8:15 AM
        What the hell is going on?
        Sayed Mekkawi*

        Before the sad occurrence of Beslan attacks, watching the kidnapping
        of two French journalists in Iraq and the dramatic crash of two
        Russian planes, I told my friends that there are secret hands are
        working hard to destroy the relations between Islamic and Arab world
        and the remaining allies for this world like Russia and France. It
        is the same power, which did the damage between USA and Arab and
        Islamic world. It is impossible to Iraqi nationalist resistance to
        ignore the French support for Iraq and their resistance for American
        Aggression in Iraq.

        Moreover, Iraq is became an open ground for Mossad and CIA to play,
        as they like. They throw Al Jazeera out of Iraq to commit massacres
        as much as they can without witnesses. USA and their allies in
        aggressive war against Iraqi people are hold responsible for
        whatever is going on wrong in today Iraq.

        It is difficult to believe that Chechnyian Resistance is stupid to
        the extent of sacrificing the support of public opinion to their
        independence cause. However, the Consultative Council of Chechnyian
        Mujahedeen denied having any links with this attack and considers it
        as a Russian attempt to damage the image of Islam and Chechnyian
        struggle. It is strange that Russia did not mention the nationality
        of attackers but as press report quoted one of the suspected
        swearing with Allah that he did not kill or shot anyone.

        However, Chechenian resistance is know for being courageous
        targeting the military Russian targets not children and women?!

        However, the link became clear yesterday as the news told us that
        Russia and Israel signed together understanding agreement for
        cooperation in combating terrorism!

        Well done Israel and poor Arabs and Muslims!

        * El Sayed Mekkawi is a research scholar in the School of
        International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India

        =====================
        Blind Loyalty to an Empire of Greed: The Corruptions of Patriotism
        By GLEN T. MARTIN

        (Counterpunch) The United States administers a global empire. This
        used to be a secret. Through the 1990s, our government told us that
        we stood for democracy, freedom, and independence of nations
        worldwide (lying to us). But the majority of U.S. citizens refused
        to critically examine their government out of patriotism. Sheeplike,
        we acted in defiance of the founding fathers of our nation who
        distrusted the power of government, who realized that small acts of
        terrorism (which existed then as now) were nothing compared to the
        potential for tyranny from those who wield governmental powers.

        From the late 1940s to the 1990s, most citizens of the U.S. thought