Remember the 'Red Indians'

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      NATIVE AMERICANS (`Red Indians') do not celebrate American
      Thanksgiving. Understand their plight to understand what is
      happening to AFGHANS and PALESTINIANS today.
      [From Nadrat Siddique, University of Maryland.]

      The imperialist attitude toward indigenous peoples, whether they be
      Native American, or Afghan, has not changed. As the nation returns
      from "Thanksgiving Day" (or more appropriately,"National Day of
      Mourning") celebrations, we remember the Native people who lost
      their lives to American imperialism and racism. The report below,
      about the Sand Creek massacre(of Native people of the Cheyenne
      Tribe), was reported in the annals of the U.S. Congress. Twenty
      years ago, American Indian Movement (AIM) leader Vernon Bellecourt,
      stated that "You will be the next Indians, my brothers and sisters."
      Bellecourt's organization, which fought for the rights of Native
      people, was targeted by the FBI as a "terrorist" organization. Today
      Bellecourt's words have been realized, and the faces of the victims
      of Sand Creek have been replaced by those of Afghans and Arabs.

      "Robert Bent, who was riding unwillingly with Colonel Chivington,
      said that when they came in sight of the camp, 'I saw the American
      flag waving and heard Black Kettle tell the Indians to stand around
      the flag, and there they were huddled--men, women, and children.
      This was when we were within fifty yards of the Indians. I also saw
      a white flag raised. These flags were in so conspicuous a position
      that they must have been seen.

      When the troops fired, the Indians ran, some of the men into their
      lodges, probably to get their arms...I think there were six hundred
      Indians in all. I think there were thirty-five braves, and some old
      men, about sixty in all...the rest of the men were away from the
      camp, hunting....After the firing, the warriors put the squaws and
      children together, and surrounded them to protect them. I saw five
      squaws under a bank for shelter. When the troops came up to them,
      they ran out and showed their persons to let the soldiers know they
      were squaws and begged for mercy, but the soldiers shot them all.

      I saw one squaw lying on the bank whose leg had been broken by a
      shell; a soldier came up to her with a drawn saber; she raised her
      arm to protect herself, when he struck, breaking her arm; she rolled
      over and raised her other arm, when he struck, breaking it, and then
      left her without killing her.

      There seemedto be indiscriminate slaughter of men, women, and
      children. There were some thirty or forty squaws collected in a hole
      for protection; they sent out a little girl about six years old with
      a white flag on a stick; she had not proceeded but a few steps when
      she was shot and killed.

      All the squaws in that hole were afterwards killed, and four for
      five bucks outside. The squaws offered no resistance. Every one I
      saw dead was scalped. I saw one squaw cut open with an unborn child,
      as I thought, lying by her side. Captain Soule afterwards told me
      that such was the fact. I saw the body of White Antelope with the
      privates cut off, and I heard a soldier say he was going to make a
      tobacco pouch out of them. I saw one squaw whose privates had been
      cut out...I saw a little girl about five years of age who had been
      hid in the sand; two soldiers discovered her, drew their pistols and
      shot her, and then pulled her out of the sand by the arm. I saw
      quite a number of infants in arms killed with their mothers.'"

      (U.S. Congress. 39th. 2nd session. Senate Report 156, pp. 73,96, as
      reported in "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown.)

      Nadrat Siddique
      email: siddiqun@...