Somalian Abused in US Prison

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2004
      FAMILY PROTEST US TREATMENT OF SOMALI TERROR SUSPECT
      Agence France Presse, 7/4/04

      COLUMBUS, Ohio - Relatives of Somali terror suspect Nuradin Abdi have
      had a hard time reconciling the man they know with the alleged bomb-
      plot conspirator and dedicated jihadist that US authorities say he
      is.

      But neither did they recognise the broken-down, at times incoherent
      individual that appeared in court last month after six months in
      solitary confinement.

      "He's the shell of the man we love and know," said his brother, Abdi
      Karani, 27.

      Abdi's relatives suspect that Abdi, 32, described as an outgoing
      father-of-two, may have suffered a mental breakdown during his long
      months in custody. Some in this city's thriving Somali community of
      30,000 question whether he was abused in prison.

      "I am extremely concerned that his behaviors might indicate mental
      and possibly physical abuse during his detention, and that his mental
      injuries may be permanent," said Asma Mobin-Uddin, a physician and
      official with the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

      "In America," she goes on in an editorial printed in the Columbus
      Dispatch newspaper June 24, "we considered the use of torture
      unacceptable in civilised society.

      "Has the war on terror changed our nation's values?"

      Abdi was arrested in November 2003 on immigration violations, then
      charged in June with plotting to blow up a shopping mall in the US
      heartland with a convicted al-Qaeda conspirator...

      Jad Humeidan, director of the Ohio chapter of CAIR, stressed that the
      community's support was not unconditional. "We will not tolerate any
      form of terrorism or any act that jeopardizes the security of our
      nation or the world," he said.

      But Humeidan said he feared that Abdi might simply be another
      unwitting victim of over-zealous officials prosecuting the war on
      terror, much like the Oregon attorney Brandon Mayfield and the Muslim
      Army chaplain Joseph Yee...