White House Aides Worry

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides

      Doug Thompson
      Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
      June 4, 2004

      President George W. Bush's increasingly erratic
      behavior and wide mood swings has the halls of the
      West Wing buzzing lately as aides privately express
      growing concern over their leader's state of mind.
      In meetings with top aides and administration
      officials, the President goes from quoting the Bible
      in one breath to obscene tantrums against the media,
      Democrats and others that he classifies as "enemies
      of the state."

      Worried White House aides paint a portrait of a man
      on the edge, increasingly wary of those who disagree
      with him and paranoid of a public that no longer
      trusts his policies in Iraq or at home.

      "It reminds me of the Nixon days," says a longtime
      GOP political consultant with contacts in the White
      House. "Everybody is an enemy; everybody is out to
      get him. That's the mood over there."

      In interviews with a number of White House staffers
      who were willing to talk off the record, a picture of
      an administration under siege has emerged, led by a
      man who declares his decisions to be "God's will" and
      then tells aides to "fuck over" anyone they consider
      to be an opponent of the administration.

      "We're at war, there's no doubt about it. What I
      don't know anymore is just who the enemy might be,"
      says one troubled White House aide. "We seem to spend
      more time trying to destroy John Kerry than al Qaeda
      and our enemies list just keeps growing and growing."

      Aides say the President gets "hung up on minor
      details," micromanaging to the extreme while ignoring
      the bigger picture. He will spend hours personally
      reviewing and approving every attack ad against his
      Democratic opponent and then kiss off a meeting on
      economic issues.

      "This is what is killing us on Iraq," one aide says.
      "We lost focus. The President got hung up on the
      weapons of mass destruction and an unproven link to
      al Qaeda. We could have found other justifiable
      reasons for the war but the President insisted the
      focus stay on those two, tenuous items."

      Aides who raise questions quickly find themselves
      shut out of access to the President or other top
      advisors. Among top officials, Bush's inner circle is
      shrinking. Secretary of State Colin Powell has fallen
      out of favor because of his growing doubts about the
      administration's war against Iraq.

      The President's abrupt dismissal of CIA Directory
      George Tenet Wednesday night is, aides say, an
      example of how he works.

      "Tenet wanted to quit last year but the President got
      his back up and wouldn't hear of it," says an aide.
      "That would have been the opportune time to make a
      change, not in the middle of an election campaign but
      when the director challenged the President during the
      meeting Wednesday, the President cut him off by
      saying 'that's it George. I cannot abide disloyalty.
      I want your resignation and I want it now."

      Tenet was allowed to resign "voluntarily" and Bush
      informed his shocked staff of the decision Thursday
      morning. One aide says the President actually
      described the decision as "God's will."

      God may also be the reason Attorney General John
      Ashcroft, the administration's lightning rod because
      of his questionable actions that critics argue
      threatens freedoms granted by the Constitution,
      remains part of the power elite. West Wing staffers
      call Bush and Ashcroft "the Blues Brothers" because
      "they're on a mission from God."

      "The Attorney General is tight with the President
      because of religion," says one aide. "They both
      believe any action is justifiable in the name of

      But the President who says he rules at the behest of
      God can also tongue-lash those he perceives as
      disloyal, calling them "fucking assholes" in front of
      other staff, berating one cabinet official in front
      of others and labeling anyone who disagrees with him
      "unpatriotic" or "anti-American."

      "The mood here is that we're under siege, there's no
      doubt about it," says one troubled aide who admits he
      is looking for work elsewhere. "In this
      administration, you don't have to wear a turban or
      speak Farsi to be an enemy of the United States. All
      you have to do is disagree with the President."