37 Korean Troops Convert to Islam

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      AHEAD OF IRAQ DEPLOYMENT, 37 KOREAN TROOPS CONVERT TO ISLAM
      Chosun Ilbo, 5/28/04
      http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200405/200405280041.html

      "I became a Muslim because I felt Islam was more humanistic and
      peaceful than other religions. And if you can religiously connect
      with the locals, I think it could be a big help in carrying out our
      peace reconstruction mission." So said on Friday those Korean
      soldiers who converted to Islam ahead of their late July deployment
      to the Kurdish city of Irbil in northern Iraq.

      At noon Friday, 37 members of the Iraq-bound "Zaitun Unit," including
      Lieutenant Son Hyeon-ju of the Special Forces 11th Brigade, made
      their way to a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul and held a conversion
      ceremony.

      Captain Son Jin-gu from Zaitoon Unit recites an oath at ceremony to
      mark his conversion to Islam at a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul on
      Friday. /Yonhap

      The soldiers, who cleansed their entire bodies in accordance with
      Islamic tradition, made their conversion during the Friday group
      prayers at the mosque, with the assistance of the "imam," or prayer
      leader.

      With the exception of the imam, all the Muslims and the Korean
      soldiers stood in a straight line to symbolize how all are equal
      before God and took a profession on faith.

      They had memorized the Arabic confession, "Ashadu an La ilaha il
      Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah," which means, "I testify that there
      is no god but God (Arabic: Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger of
      God..."

      ALSO SEE:

      S. KOREAN SOLDIERS CONVERT TO ISLAM BEFORE IRAQ TOUR
      Kim Kyoung-hoon and Choi Yoon-sang, Reuters, 5/28/04

      SEOUL - South Korea's 35,000-strong Muslim community gained 37 new
      converts on Friday when officers and enlisted soldiers destined for a
      tour of duty in Iraq were admitted to the faith in a ceremony at
      Seoul's main mosque.

      South Korea, where Buddhism is the most common religion and
      Christianity has grown rapidly, has pledged to send 3,000 troops to
      help reconstruction in Iraq. About 650 South Korean army medics and
      engineers have served in the country for a year.

      "You are reborn as believers and believers are true human beings,"
      Sulaiman Lee Haeng-lae Imam told the new converts at the Seoul
      mosque, one of five in a country of 48 million people.

      Sulaiman, a South Korean leading the congregation in Seoul, said the
      men's decision to convert to Islam will go a long way towards helping
      their 3,000-strong contingent become accepted by Iraqis once it is
      deployed.

      "The Iraqis could become your friends for eternity," Sulaiman told
      the new converts after he received oaths from the soldiers.

      A public affairs officer attached to the unit, Captain Lee Yun-se,
      said many of the 37 new converts had some background in Arab culture,
      including Arabic language study in college and travel to the Middle
      East.

      All 3,000 soldiers in the contingent took courses on Arabic culture
      and customs to help them fit in in Iraq...