US FORCES ENTER IRAQ

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003
      UNDERCOVER WAR BEGINS AS US FORCES ENTER IRAQ
      John Donnelly and Tom Allard, Sydney Morning Herald, 1/6/03
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/05/1041566310159.html

      About 100 United States special forces personnel and more than 50
      CIA officers have been inside Iraq for at least four months, looking
      for missile-launchers, monitoring oil fields, marking minefields and
      helping their pilots target air-defence systems.

      The operations, which are said to have included some Australian,
      Jordanian and British commandos, are seen as part of the opening
      phase of a war, intelligence officials and military analysts say.

      This is despite the Bush Administration agreeing to the schedule of
      United Nations weapons inspections...

      The action by US and British special forces in Iraq breaches
      international law because it is not sanctioned by the UN.

      But it also reflects the new warfare, which targets terrorists and
      hidden weapons and relies heavily on commando operations and pre-
      emptive strikes…

      "We're bombing practically every day as we patrol the no-fly zones,
      taking out air defence batteries, and there are all kinds of CIA and
      special forces operations going on," said Timur Eads, a former US
      special operations officer. "I would call it the beginning of a
      war..."

      ---

      WE'VE SEEN THIS PLOT BEFORE
      Riad Saloojee, Montreal Gazette, 1/6/03
      http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/editorials/story.asp?
      id=969153CE-D33A-4EAB-8754-73B160D3DA9A

      Once bitten. And now many are shy to believe that the Iraq weapons-
      verification process headed by Hans Blix is anything except
      redundant - immaterial, really - to whether Iraq will be in material
      breach of Security Council resolution 1441.

      As we corner the curve to an imminent war, we run headlong into a
      story attributed to St. Augustine. He is reported to tell the tale
      of a pirate who was brought before the emperor. "Why do you molest
      the seas?" inquired the emperor. Retorted the pirate: "When you
      molest the seas, they call you emperor; when I molest the seas, they
      call me a pirate."

      St. Augustine alludes to the fact that retaining control of the
      seven seas is the reserve of realpolitik, that ultimate end-game of
      power whose political tools are endless. They range from diplomatic
      sleight of hand to outright subterfuge. No one is the wiser,
      usually, until years later when brave souls like Daniel Ellsberg,
      the former marine who leaked the Pentagon Papers that exposed the
      duplicity of successive U.S. administrations and ultimately ended
      the Vietnam war, come forward and speak…

      ---

      UN INSPECTORS FEAR BUSH WILL IGNORE THEM
      Peter Beaumont and Ed Vulliamy, The Observer (UK), 1/5/03
      http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,868839,00.html

      UN weapons inspectors in Iraq fear their work - which has failed to
      turn up any evidence thus far of weapons of mass destruction - will
      still be used as an excuse to trigger a US-led invasion of Iraq.

      Leaks from the inspections teams - and the two agencies in charge of
      them, Unmovic and the International Atomic Energy Agency - have
      fuelled an increasingly frenetic diplomatic effort among opponents
      of the war.

      The weapons inspection teams in Iraq have visited breweries and
      former nuclear plants, and raided missile factories and
      pharmaceutical production lines. They have examined former weapons
      factories and interviewed scientists and university technicians. As
      of yesterday they had checked 230 sites in all. If one is to believe
      the few inspectors who have been prepared to be interviewed
      anonymously, they have found absolutely nothing…

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.