Iraq: It's Not About Oil

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2003
      The Jewish Lobby in the US tries to frame the oil companies

      Oilmen don't want another Suez
      Anthony Sampson

      Observer special: Iraq

      Sunday December 22, 2002
      The Observer

      While Washington hawks depict a war against Iraq as achieving
      security Of oil supplies, Western oil companies are worried about the
      short-term danger and the supposed long-term benefits of
      intervention. Left-wing critics in Britain depict the proposed
      invasion as an oil war. Former Cabinet Minister Mo Mowlam has called
      it a 'war to secure oil supplies' as a cover for a war on terrorism.
      And the fact that President George Bush and Vice-President Dick
      Cheney have both been enriched by Oil companies raises suspicions
      about their motives for war.

      But oil companies have had little influence on US policy-making. Most
      big American companies, including oil companies, do not see a war as
      good for business, as falling share prices indicate; while the
      obvious beneficiaries of war are arms companies.

      Western oil companies have differing attitudes. The French want to
      maintain their special relationship with Iraq, while seeking links
      with Iraqi opposition leaders who may form a post-war government.

      The Russians are performing a more difficult balancing act. Worried
      that their previous friendship with Saddam might exclude them from a
      post-war share-out, they have sought assurances from Washington in
      return for their diplomatic support for a war. But Saddam has
      counter-attacked by cancelling the Russian contract for developing
      new oilfields.

      The British believe they are specially entitled to share in the
      development of Iraqi oil supplies. BP (then known as Anglo-Persian)
      was involved in the discovery of oil after the British and the French
      invented Iraq as a separate state, carved out of the Ottoman Empire
      in 1920.

      But BP is worried about being displaced by US companies. As Lord
      Browne, its chief executive, said in October: 'We would like to make
      sure, if Iraq changes its regime, that there should be a level
      playing-field for the selection of oil companies to go in there.'

      The oil companies are much less confident that this escalation will
      protect supplies. Shell and Exxon-Mobil have made huge investments in
      natural gas in Saudi Arabia, which could be at risk in a
      confrontation with the Saudi government. All oil companies in the
      Middle East would face a more dangerous political climate, caught
      between the American-Israeli intervention and nationalists fearing
      reversion to a neo-colonial system.

      Oil companies dread having supplies interrupted by burning oilfields,
      saboteurs and chaotic conditions. And any attempt to redraw the
      frontiers could increase the dangers in both Iran and Iraq, as rivals
      seek to regain territory.

      When Anthony Eden invaded Egypt in 1956, with France and Israel, he
      claimed to be defending British interests - without consulting the
      oil companies which opposed the invasion. The Suez war proved a
      great setback for BP and Shell, which faced angry nationalist
      reactions throughout the Middle East, while the Americans made the
      most of their advantage.

      Many oil executives now fear a war against Iraq could have more
      dangerous repercussions; if it goes wrong, they will be among the
      first to blame the governments that launched it.

      http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,864387,00.html

      The Iraqi War:
      It's not about the oil, stupid!
      by David Duke
      Broadcast Date 11-29-2002
      www.davidduke.com

      I just returned from Bahrain and Qatar. In Qatar I appeared on one
      of the most-watched television satellite channels in the world,
      Al-Jazeera. An audience of 70 million saw and listened to me
      expose the Jewish supremacist traitors in the U.S. Government who
      have sold out America to Israel. In violation of the United States
      Constitution, the Jewish-dominated U.S. State Department actually
      protested my appearance and tried to suppress my freedom of speech
      as an American citizen. More on that a little later, but first, I
      want to turn to one of the big lies about the coming war on Iraq,
      that lie is that Big Oil interests, rather than the Zionists, are
      behind the planned war.

      The Zionists are masters at deception. Like the bait-and-switch
      sales tactics of American retail giants, some elements of the
      Jewish-dominated media in America have floated the idea that the
      coming war in Iraq is about oil. Sounding like a genuine dissident
      viewpoint, some patriots have unwittingly help spread this myth.
      One antiwar pundit adopted this theory and headlined, "It's about
      oil, stupid!"

      These claims were originated simply to deflect the blame for the
      war from Israel and its fifth column in America. The warmongers
      anxiously want this war NOT to appear to be the result of the
      Israeli Fifth Column trying to strike down Israel's enemies one
      by one. By floating the idea that the war is about oil, a resource
      vital to America and Europe, the suggestion is that somehow it
      is in America's and Europe's economic interest to invade Iraq.
      The implication is that the war will somehow allow us to grab
      the oil, and so it will be good for the economy and the common
      man. Of course, the idea that we will just grab the oil is simply
      preposterous. Whatever new regime is in charge of Iraq will sell
      the oil at normal world spot prices!

      A lot of good antiwar people have been deceived by this tactic,
      and are parroting the idea that it is big Oil that really behind
      this war. The Bush family ties to the oil industry are often cited
      in this scenario. And frankly, it is one thousand times easier
      in America to speak about conspiracies of the big bad Oil
      companies than to speak of the more open and more obvious Jewish
      conspiracies. Talk about big Oil conspiracies and some will call
      you wrong, but no one will accuse you of the great blasphemy of
      our age, the most evil of all heresies: so-called "anti-Semitism."

      But really, does big Oil or America have a strong economic
      motivation for this war? A few obvious facts coupled with plain,
      old-fashioned reason will show you that the war against Iraq
      holds no real advantage for big Oil, in fact it offers them
      much peril. As far as concerning American and European economic
      interests at large, the war in Iraq will have devastating
      consequences, to say nothing of causing anti-American political
      unrest and horrendous terrorism.

      Today, I will examin the economic consequences of the Iraqi war.
      The first question is "Do we have to go to war with Iraq to get
      its oil?" The answer is: "Of course we don't." We bought oil
      from Saddam Hussein before the Gulf War, and we can buy it now.
      If America, by this war, makes a regime change in Iraq, the
      American government is not simply going to pump the oil out of
      the ground and put the proceeds in our treasury. Those in
      political control in Iraq will still control the oil and still sell
      it to the world at the international prevailing spot oil prices.

      And let me make this very clear, Iraq has the second largest
      oil reserves in the world. Giving Iraqi oil easier access to
      the world's markets will, after the flurry of wartime higher
      oil prices, eventually depress the price of oil. What does this
      mean to the big American and European oil companies who have
      the great bulk of their oil investments in the United States
      (such as in Texas, Louisiana and Alaska), in the North Sea,
      in Russia and in South America? Opening up the Iraqi market
      (and Iraq will need to sell huge quantities of oil after the war
      devastation) will ultimately mean, bottom line, depressed
      prices for oil reserves that Big Oil actually owns! The war will not
      help their profits but in the long run only hurt them. That is why
      Russia, a nation with large oil reserves but less Jewish
      influence, rightly opposes the war, knowing it will ultimately hurt
      their own oil business.

      So, in the final analysis, Big Oil has no long-term interest
      in the overthrow of Saddam. And it must be admitted that Big Oil
      has no strong interest in normalizing relations with Iraq either.
      For if America normalizes relations with the current Iraqi regime,
      the oil will flow freely, just as it would if sanctions lifted
      after a so-called regime change. Either way, regime change or
      normalized relations would not necessarily be good for the Big
      Oil companies.

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.