Passion by Victor and Maria

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2004
      Passion by Victor and Maria

      I saw the movie yesterday and I was very sad to see the humiliation,
      blood and injustice -- I don't understand the purpose of depicting so
      much violence inflicted on Jesus instead of showing 'his message'.
      The ancient churches of Europe are covered with obscene and gory
      paintings of a beloved man being tortured to death. A Christian
      friend of mine told me, "Continual sinning of Christians continues to
      kill Jesus." For Mel Gibson, Jesus had to suffer and die on the
      screen so that his sins are forgiven (now I will make Mel mad at me).
      The focus of the Christian religion is on the death and resurrection
      of Jesus. There is a lack of attention to the actual words of Jesus
      when he was alive. In many cases, Christians even choose the word of
      Paul, who never even met Jesus, over the word of Christ himself. We
      understand the words of Jesus, "Follow me for I am the Way" to
      mean, "Obey me." In the Holy Quran, Jesus clarifies his message as
      follows:

      "(I have come to you) to attest the Law Which was before me. And to
      make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; I have
      come to you with a Sign from you Lord. So fear Allah and obey me. It
      is Allah Who is my Lord and your Lord; then worship Him. This is a
      Way that is straight." (3:50).

      Muslims do not blame Jews for the death of Jesus, although the Quran
      is clear that the Jews would have liked to do it, and they would do
      it again. Allah admonishes the Jews, "That they rejected Faith; that
      they uttered against Mary a grave false charge." This refers to the
      Talmudic references to Jesus as the son of a whore.

      God further repudiates the Jews "that they said (in boast), "We
      killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah," as is
      related in the Talmud Tractate Sanhedrin. "But they killed him not,
      nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them. And those
      who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge,
      but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not -
      Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power,
      Wise - and there is none of the People of the Book but must believe
      in him before his death; And on the Day of Judgement He will be a
      witness against them - for the iniquity of the Jews..." (4:156-160).

      Despite of the intention of some Jews to assassinate Jesus, God
      lifted his beloved prophet (body and soul) to the heavens -- this can
      be our only solace after seeing the graphic images portrayed by Mel
      Gibson. The Quran says, "And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned,
      and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah. Behold!
      Allah said: O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and
      clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme. I will make
      those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith" (3:54-55).

      What this means is that Allah does not hold the later generations of
      Jews collectively responsible for the death of Jesus. Collective
      guilt is not God's justice -- we are responsible for our own crimes.
      God judges individuals individually.The people who tried to kill
      Jesus were responsible for those decisions. No one inherits the sins
      of his ancestors, no matter what faith they follow -- unless they
      stand up today and applaud that part of the history. Otherwise, it is
      like blaming the descendants of slave masters for slavery in America.
      Each Jew throughout the ages is invited to stop rejecting God's
      prophet, accept Jesus as the Messiah and accept the renewed Covenant
      through Christ. Likewise, God invites all Christians to receive the
      Divine Covenant of God's Mercy through Mohammed. Each individual is
      responsible for his personal spiritual elevation. God is the ultimate
      arbitrar and for that we have to wait until the Day of Judgment.

      There were many other Prophets and Believers abused and even killed
      in history -- Prophet Abraham was abused by his own father, Jacob
      suffered from his own children, Prophet Muhammad was physically
      abused by his own people in Mecca -- may God's peace and blessings be
      on all of them. In our times Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi,
      who preached love and nonviolence, were assassinated. What is
      important is the message they left for us. It is not enough to
      glorify Jesus or to glorify his death, but you have to give him the
      respect to listen what he taught and realize why he lived.

      MUSLIM PERSPECTIVE ON JESUS
      Ahmed Bedier, Tampa Tribune, 3/6/04
      http://www.tampatribune.com/
      (No link available.)

      Jesus of Nazareth (peace be upon him) is not only the central figure
      around which the religion of Christianity revolves; he is also among
      the most venerated and highly honored personalities for the worlds
      1.2 billion Muslims.

      A Muslim's love for Jesus is not only based on the Quranic texts
      which exalt him to being the 'Spirit of God' but also due to the
      respect shown to him by the Prophet of Islam - Muhammad (peace be
      upon him) who described Jesus as his brother.

      Despite this reverence for Jesus, most Muslims may not want to see
      the movie 'The Passion of Christ.' "Thou shall not have any graven
      images," is part of our Muslim belief especially as it relates to the
      images of the Prophets and Messengers of God.

      Like Christians, Muslims believe in the virgin birth of Jesus and
      many of his miracles mentioned in the Bible. Jesus' life and mission
      is mentioned in eleven chapters of the Quran. The Mother of Jesus,
      Mary is held by Muslims as an extraordinary exemplar of faith in God,
      and an entire chapter in the Quran is named after her.

      However there are some differences in belief between Islam and
      Christianity.

      Muslims do not believe in the divinity of Jesus, and hold only God as
      divine.

      Rather, Muslims believe Jesus was a sign from God who was sent to
      confirm the Torah, remind the Children of Israel of their duty to God
      and to praise the merciful and loving attributes of God - Our
      Creator...

      Ahmed Bedier is the Communications Director for the Florida office of
      the Council on American-Islamic Relations.