UN witnesses murder of Palestinian boy

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2004
      U.N. staff see boy shot in back
      Israeli officer suspended after incident

      `Time for tolerance, forgiveness:' Father

      MITCH POTTER
      MIDDLE EAST BUREAU - Toronto Star Feb 28, 2004

      http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?
      pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1077923412783&call
      _pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724

      GAZA CITY—An Israeli army officer has been suspended after an unarmed
      Palestinian youth was shot in the back at close range as he waved
      goodbye to a delegation of visiting United Nations aid workers, the
      Star has learned.

      Yousef Bashir, 15, remains in serious condition at a hospital in Tel
      Aviv, where he was taken after the Feb. 18 incident at his family's
      home near the Jewish settlement of Kfar Darom in the southern Gaza
      Strip.

      He is partially paralyzed beneath his shoulder blades, with shrapnel
      lodged against his spine, the boy's father said.

      An Israel Defence Forces spokesperson confirmed yesterday an unnamed
      officer has been suspended in connection with the shooting, pending
      the outcome of an investigation.

      In a conflict marked by a surfeit of civilian casualties on both
      sides, Palestinian claims seldom result in convictions against IDF
      soldiers because of conflicting eyewitness accounts.

      The Bashir shooting is rare because it happened in plain view of
      three U.N. personnel who were visiting the family home.

      Rarer still, the victim's father, Khalil Bashir, said last night he
      doesn't want punishment for the shooter.

      Instead, he's asking that Yousef's plight become "a turning point for
      an historic reconciliation with Israel.

      "We make a mistake if we let our wounded memory guide our future.
      Punishment doesn't pay. What pays is a change of mentality," an
      emotional Bashir told the Star.

      "It is time for tolerance and forgiveness. I want the Israelis to
      know that we, both sides, have no other option. Let us devote
      ourselves to melting the ice and find a solution to give our children
      a chance to live."

      U.N. field workers are routinely forbidden to speak directly to
      reporters on security incidents, but the organization has made an
      exception in this case.

      The witnesses were made available to the Star with the approval of
      their superiors on condition their names not be used.

      "The boy was no more than five metres from us, waving goodbye after
      our visit, with his back to the Israeli observation post," said one
      of the U.N. field staff.

      "It was absolutely quiet. But then a single shot was fired. The boy
      fell to his knees and then he collapsed on the ground. It was like
      slow-motion video.

      "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the bullet came from the
      Israeli army position. They were only about 20 metres away. There was
      nothing else going on. There is no other explanation."

      The shooting comes as the most severe incident in the Bashir family's
      long struggle with the IDF.

      Nearly three years ago, the army confiscated a large swath of the
      family property to increase the buffer zone for the Jewish settlers
      of nearby Kfar Darom.

      In the process, the family said their greenhouses were demolished,
      nearly 120 date palms were uprooted and IDF actually moved into the
      home, establishing military positions on the second and third floors,
      replete with a closed-circuit television camera and camouflage
      netting.

      Khalil Bashir, a school principal in the nearby town of Deir Al-
      Ballah, has refused to vacate the home and has moved the family —
      elderly mother, wife and five children — to a single room on the
      ground floor.

      In recent weeks, the IDF intensified restrictions on the family,
      forbidding visitors without prior arrangement and giving them outdoor
      access only to their northern garden.

      On Feb. 3 — just as the Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon unveiled
      plans for a unilateral withdrawal of the Israeli settlements in Gaza,
      including Kfar Darom — the Bashir family and other property owners in
      the neighbourhood were served written orders by the IDF for
      additional land confiscations.

      According to the orders, signed by IDF Maj.-Gen. Dan Harel, the
      Bashirs and 17 other Palestinian families were required to forfeit 43
      dunams (one dunam equals one-quarter acre) for a new security fence
      to better protect the settlement.

      The U.N. field team, based in Gaza City, was visiting the family in
      order to investigate the new orders when the shooting occurred.

      "We arrived in a clearly marked United Nations armoured car, white
      with black markings," a second U.N. staffer told the Star in a
      separate interview.

      After a brief visit, a soldier shouted for the U.N. visitors to leave.

      "Khalil Bashir and his son Yousef walked us back to our car. We
      climbed in and began to reverse. They waved goodbye and that's when
      the shot rang out and the boy fell to the ground," the second U.N.
      staffer said.

      "I was terrified we would also be shot. Mr. Bashir shouted at us to
      come help. We inched forward, opened the door of the armoured car and
      got the boy inside. His legs were like Jell-O. But he was conscious,
      speaking in a mix of Arabic and English. We hurried him to hospital
      in Deir al-Ballah."

      Bashir was transferred that night to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City. Two
      days later he was moved to better facilities in Israel, where Tel
      Aviv doctors are weighing
      the possibility he will be able to walk one day.

      The U.N. witnesses have each written reports. So far, they have not
      been interviewed by Israeli army investigators, but expect their
      accounts will be raised with Israeli authorities via U.N. diplomatic
      channels.

      "Unfortunately, living in Gaza, we are exposed to some ugly things,"
      said one of the workers.

      Khalil Bashir said last night he has not been contacted by army
      investigators for his account of his son's shooting.

      "They (IDF officers) went to my house and apologized to my wife two
      times, saying the shooting was a mistake. But whether they made a
      mistake or not, the reality is they shot my son," he said.

      "In spite of my bitterness, in spite of my calamity and my tragedy, I
      thank God my son is still alive.

      "In thanks to God, I am more determined than ever to find a way to
      peace. I ask our friends all over the world, help me exploit this
      chance to change the mentality. I can forgive. Let us all forgive."

      Palestinian shot dead by Israeli soldiers near Hebron

      Agence France Presse

      HEBRON, West Bank -- A Palestinian was shot dead Tuesday
      morning by Israeli soldiers as he fled from a house during a search
      by the troops near the West Bank city of Hebron, Palestinian and
      Israeli security sources said.

      Mohammed Abu Rajab, 27, was killed during a raid on a house in the
      town of Yatta, Palestinian source said.

      An Israeli military source told AFP that the man had been shot in the
      back after running from a house where other suspected militants were
      believed to be hiding.

      "The forces called on him to stop and fired a warning shot. He did
      not stop," she said.

      His death brings the overall toll since the start of the Palestinian
      intifada in September 2000 to 3,792, including 2,838 Palestinians
      and 886 Israelis.