STUDENTS JAILED OVER CLASS LOAD

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      NON-U.S. STUDENTS JAILED OVER CLASS LOAD
      CNN.com, 12/27/02
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/12/27/foreign.students.ap/index.htm

      DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- At least six Middle Eastern students
      studying in Colorado have been jailed in the past 10 days for
      failing to take enough college classes as required by their student
      visas.

      The students ran into trouble when they showed up to register with
      U.S. immigration officials, as required by new rules to track
      foreign students.

      When they reported, they were jailed and required to post $5,000
      bonds for enrolling in less than 12 hours of college credit.

      The Immigration and Naturalization Service says the students are
      being detained because under-enrollment is a violation of their
      student visas. The students are not suspected of any other offense.

      "We're concerned about the heavy-handed nature of the enforcement
      and their lack of understanding of their own regulations," said
      Chris Johnson, director of international education at the University
      of Colorado at Denver. "Students are being detained unfairly and
      callously."

      One University of Colorado at Denver student was jailed last week
      because he was one hour shy of a full load after receiving college
      permission to drop a course, Johnson said.

      "I don't believe this is helping us with the war on terrorism," said
      Mark Hallett, director of international student services at Colorado
      State University. "We're alienating people who could be our best
      friends and ambassadors once they return to their countriesÂ…"

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.