Toxic Munitions And Deadly Vaccines

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      Toxic Munitions And Deadly Vaccines
      American Soldiers Endangered By Their Own Instruments Of War

      TomPaine.com

      Conn Hallinan is provost at the University of California at Santa
      Cruz and a foreign policy analyst for Foreign Policy In Focus

      Every time I hear the likes of Vice-President Cheney, Secretary of
      Defense Rumsfeld, or Sen. Lieberman go on about war with Iraq, it
      reminds me of a history lesson. Congress should keep in mind when it
      begins its debate over Iraq: Wars are waged with the bodies of the
      young, and they always come home.

      The 1991 Gulf War is a case in point. As wars go, it was a slam-dunk
      for the United States side. While Iraqi casualties were somewhere
      between 85,000 to 100,000, the United States lost 148 soldiers in
      combat, the majority of those the victims of so-called "friendly
      fire."

      Gulf War II is likely to be a repeat. The United States is better
      armed than it was 11 years ago, while a decade of sanctions and
      bombings -- more tonnage has been dropped on Iraq since the end of
      Gulf War I than was dropped on Yugoslavia during the war over
      Kosovo -- has reduced the Iraqi military to a shadow of its former
      self. I suspect we will take Baghdad in less than a week. But that's
      when the real trouble starts.

      Out of 700,000 U.S. soldiers who served in Gulf War I, 118,000 are
      suffering from chronic fatigue, headaches, muscle spasms, joint
      pains, anxiety, memory loss and balance problems. Gulf vets are
      twice as likely to develop Lou Gehrig's Disease, and two to three
      times more likely to have children with birth defects.

      War has always been a toxic business, but it is much more so today
      than it was 50 years ago. Modern battlefields are saturated with
      Depleted Uranium Ammunition (DUA), and other chemicals, and soldiers
      are pumped full of untested vaccines and antidotes.

      In the last Gulf go-around, the United States fired 860,590 DUA
      munitions. While the military keeps claiming DUAs are harmless, tank
      crews protected by DUA armor get the equivalent of a chest x-ray
      every 20 to 30 hours. Ask your doctor if that is a good idea. The
      Army's own Chemical Command concluded back in 1991 that troops
      exposed to DUA should wear protective masks, respirators and
      clothes, "at a minimum." Fighting in such gear is almost impossible,
      which means it is unlikely to be used much, and probably only if
      chemical or biological weapons are used.

      One major suspect in Gulf War Syndrome is the experimental anthrax
      vaccine required for all military personal. That requirement has
      caused an exodus from the Air Force. According to the Associated
      Press, the vaccine is a leading reason for aircrews and pilots
      resigning from the National Guard and Air Force Reserve units, and
      86 percent of those who take the vaccine report local or system-wide
      reactions.

      The effect of another war on Iraqis, of course, will be horrendous.
      The Pentagon projects a minimum of 10,000 Iraqi civilian deaths for
      Gulf II.

      If Congress and the American pubic don't bring a halt to all this,
      we are going to kill and maim tens of thousands of innocent people,
      goad angry young Muslims to commit more terrorism against American
      civilians, and create yet another round of deadly Gulf War Syndrome
      for our troops.

      Young men pressed into the service of empire have always paid for it
      with their lives. Rudyard Kipling's epitaph for them still resonates
      today:

      "If any question why we died, Tell them because our fathers lied."

      Published: Nov 27 2002