TEACHER REMOVED AFTER HIJAB INCIDENT

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      LOUISIANA TEACHER REMOVED AFTER HIJAB INCIDENT
      Teacher allegedly told Muslim student: 'I hope Allah punishes you'

      (WASHINGTON, D.C., 2/3/2004) - A prominent national Islamic civil
      rights and advocacy group today applauded the actions of a Louisiana
      high school that removed a social studies teacher who allegedly
      pulled on the Islamic head scarf, or hijab, of a Muslim student and
      made offensive remarks about her faith.

      The 17-year-old student at West Jefferson High School in Harvey, La.,
      told the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) that the
      teacher pulled back her religiously-mandated head scarf during a
      world history class on January 30th. After pulling on the student's
      scarf, the teacher allegedly said: "I hope God punishes you. No, I'm
      sorry, I hope Allah punishes you. I didn't know you had hair under
      there." The student, who is of Iraqi heritage, told CAIR that the
      teacher had previously made offensive remarks about other students'
      ethnic or religious background.

      West Jefferson High School Principal Lale Geer today told CAIR that
      the teacher had been removed from the school. Geer also stressed that
      his school respects students of all cultures and that such behavior
      will not be tolerated.

      "We appreciate the school's swift and decisive action in response to
      this shocking incident," said CAIR National Communications Director
      Ibrahim Hooper. "All students, regardless of their religious or
      ethnic background, should feel safe in our nation's classrooms."

      Hooper said a similar incident occurred recently in the United
      Kingdom. In that case, the teacher allegedly pulled off the hijab of
      a teenage student and called Islam "a joke."

      SEE: "TEACHER ACCUSED OF ASSAULT ON MUSLIM GIRL"
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1131901,00.html

      He added that CAIR is also challenging bans on Islamic head scarves
      in Alabama driver's license photographs and in French public schools.

      SEE: "ALABAMA MUSLIMS DENIED RIGHT TO ISLAMIC ATTIRE"
      http://www.cair-net.org/asp/article.asp?id=158&page=AA
      "U.S. MUSLIMS MEET FRENCH AMBASSADOR ON HIJAB BAN"
      http://www.cair-net.org/asp/article.asp?id=1039&page=NR

      CAIR, America's largest Islamic civil liberties group, is
      headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has 25 regional offices and
      chapters nationwide and in Canada.