Thousands Raped In US Military

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004
      American Women Betrayed By Military

      Thousands of women have been sexually assaulted in the United States
      military. Thousands more have been abused by their military husbands
      or boyfriends. And then they are victimized again.

      This time, the women are betrayed by the military itself.

      They are discouraged from reporting the crimes. Pressured to go easy
      on their attackers. Denied protection. Frustrated by a justice
      system that readily shields offenders from criminal punishment.

      The women suffer for it.

      Some cannot talk about what happened. They were killed by men whose
      violence was allowed to escalate. Other victims struggle with anger
      over a trusted system that betrayed them.

      More than 50 women such as Beverly Kondel, Toni Walker and Iolanda
      Thompson, above from left, told The Denver Post their stories.

      "They said they would order him not to talk to me, but I told them
      that that wouldn't stop bullets from hitting me," Walker says. "I
      felt the military abandoned me."

      http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,0,36%257E30137%257E,00.html