ARAB-AMERICAN LOBBY ENDORSES KUCINICH

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      ARAB-AMERICAN POLITICAL GROUP ENDORSES KUCINICH
      Tarek El-Tablawy, Associated Press, 1/29/04
      http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/7827811.htm

      DETROIT - Surprising even leaders of their own community, Arab-
      American political activists have endorsed Ohio U.S. Rep. Dennis
      Kucinich as their Democratic candidate for president.

      Kucinich, who finished sixth in New Hampshire, came away with more
      than two-thirds of the votes cast by members of the Arab-American
      Political Action Committee, the group's head, Osama Siblani, said
      Thursday. Kucinich was followed by former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean.
      Retired Gen. Wesley Clark took third in the voting Wednesday in
      Dearborn.

      "It was not a strategy endorsement, it was an endorsement of
      principle," said Siblani, who also is editor-in-chief of The Arab-
      American News.

      "The argument we had yesterday was should we stand by our principles
      or cast a vote based on electability," he said. "But this was a group
      that voted for (President) Bush in 2000 and were stung by the Bush
      administration."

      "They decided that they needed to make it clear that this community
      will vote for the candidate that best represents its interests, not
      necessarily the one that may be elected," Siblani said.

      Siblani said while representatives from the campaigns of U.S. Sen.
      John Kerry, Dean and Clark were on hand Wednesday to lobby for their
      respective candidates, there was no one representing Kucinich...