F.B.I. SCRUTINIZES ANTIWAR RALLIES

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      F.B.I. SCRUTINIZES ANTIWAR RALLIES
      Eric Lictblau, New York Times, 11/23/03
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/23/national/23FBI.html

      WASHINGTON - The Federal Bureau of Investigation has collected
      extensive information on the tactics, training and organization of
      antiwar demonstrators and has advised local law enforcement officials
      to report any suspicious activity at protests to its counterterrorism
      squads, according to interviews and a confidential bureau memorandum.

      The memorandum, which the bureau sent to local law enforcement
      agencies last month in advance of antiwar demonstrations in
      Washington and San Francisco, detailed how protesters have sometimes
      used "training camps" to rehearse for demonstrations, the Internet to
      raise money and gas masks to defend against tear gas. The memorandum
      analyzed lawful activities like recruiting demonstrators, as well as
      illegal activities like using fake documentation to get into a
      secured site.

      F.B.I. officials said in interviews that the intelligence-gathering
      effort was aimed at identifying anarchists and "extremist elements"
      plotting violence, not at monitoring the political speech of law-
      abiding protesters.

      The initiative has won the support of some local police, who view it
      as a critical way to maintain order at large-scale demonstrations.
      Indeed, some law enforcement officials said they believed the
      F.B.I.'s approach had helped to ensure that nationwide antiwar
      demonstrations in recent months, drawing hundreds of thousands of
      protesters, remained largely free of violence and disruption...