UK MP Smears Muslim Council

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      T H E M U S L I M C O U N C I L O F B R I T A I N

      Press Release

      Ellman's Smear Against MCB-Affiliated Muslim Organisation Rejected

      The Muslim Council of Britain rejects utterly the comments made
      recently in parliament and in the media by Mrs Louise Ellman MP
      (Liverpool, Riverside) against the Muslim Association of Britain (an
      affiliate of the MCB) and some of its most prominent members.

      "Mrs Ellman seems to have quite a history of making lengthy pro-
      Israel speeches in parliament. Her decision to extend this support by
      vilifying the Muslim Association of Britain is a deeply regrettable
      one. The MAB are a national affiliate of the Muslim Council of
      Britain and are well-known for their balanced views and admirable
      work in the Muslim community. They have also been working with
      mainstream groups on issues of common national concern. We wonder
      whether perhaps the true reason that the MAB have incurred Mrs
      Ellman's wrath is the crucial role they have played in drawing public
      attention to the illegal and quite brutal Israeli occupation of
      Palestinian lands," said Mr Iqbal Sacranie, Secretary-General of the
      Muslim Council of Britain.

      The MCB also notes that there appears to be an increasing tendency
      amongst the pro-Israel lobby to intimidate and silence serious
      critics of Israel by smearing them with baseless accusations of anti-
      semitism.

      "Islam categorically forbids Muslims to discriminate against others
      on the basis of their ethnicity or race. Hence, anti-semitism is
      regarded by all Muslim scholars as an ugly trait that should have no
      place in a Muslim's character. At the same time, however, to point
      out how Israel and the oppressive nature of its policies towards the
      Palestinian people have now become a major threat to international
      stability is only common sense. It is certainly not anti-semitic.
      Indeed, one could argue that the worst anti-semites today are the
      Israeli Zionists themselves, whose inhumane and arrogant behaviour
      towards the Palestinian people proclaims an absolute disregard for
      the teachings of our great common Prophet, Moses (peace be upon
      him), " added Mr Sacranie.

      [Ends]

      Note for Editors:

      The Muslim Council of Britain (www.mcb.org.uk) is the UK's largest
      representative Muslim umbrella body with over 400 affiliated
      national, regional and local organisations, mosques, charities and
      schools.

      For further information please contact: The Muslim Council of
      Britain, Boardman House, 64 Broadway, Stratford, London E15 1NT,
      Tel: 07956 353 738 or 0208 432 0585/6, Fax: 0208 432 0587 Email:
      media@... Website: http://www.mcb.org.uk