Imam Jamil, Political Prisoners

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      Imam Jamil, Political Prisoners

      www.newtrendmag.org

      MAKE DU'A ON LAILATUL QADR and on EID for our Political Prisoners

      Please pray for the health and well-being of political
      prisoners in America. There are numerous political prisoners but
      some of them are getting very little support owing to fear of the
      U.S. government especially among immigrant Muslims. Remember that
      you have the right to help prisoners in legal ways. You can write to
      them, send them money for basic needs, try to interview them, visit
      them. In addition to Imam Jamil, here are some prisoners we consider
      wronged and deserving of help:

      1. Leonard Peltier, "Red Indian" leader. (Small support committee).

      2. Mumia Jamal (has widespread support from the left).

      3. Siddique Abdullah Hasan (led prison uprising, now on death row).
      Very little support. Write to:
      Siddique Abdullah Hasan.
      Ohio State Penitentiary
      878 Coitsville-Hubbard Road
      Youngstown, Ohio 44505-4635
      [Our web site has a link to his site case against the death penalty.]

      4. Dr. Omar `Abdel Rahman, leader of Gamaa' al-Islamiyya, Egypt.
      Worldwide support but most people don't know that he has been moved.
      NEW ADDRESS:
      Omar Rahman #34892-054/L
      U.S. Penitentiary-Max
      P. O. Box 8500
      Florence, CO 81226-8500

      5. Haila Gabr #431-527
      P.O. Box 4004
      Clinton, NJ 08809
      [This is the Yemeni teenager who killed her rapist and was held in
      prison without trial for more than three years before she copped a
      plea.]

      6. Mohammed Salameh #34338-054
      U.S. Penitentiary - Max
      P.O. Box 8500
      Florence, CO 81226-8500
      {Has been doing hunger strikes owing to his mistreatment after 9.11.}

      7. Victor Alvarez #34848-054
      U.S.P. , P.O. Box 1000
      Marion, OH 62954
      {This is the Puerto Rican brother who was sentenced along with
      Shaikh Omar. He is stressed out from open-ended solitary
      confinement.}

      8. Ahmed `Abdel Sattar #53506-054
      M.C.C.
      150 Park Row,
      New York, NY 10007

      Top Egyptian dissident, U.S. citizen with impeccable human rights
      record, being held to punish him for his support for the rights of
      Dr. Omar Abdel Rahman and the torture victims in Egypt.

      9.Jose Padilla (Abdullah al-Muhajer). Being held in military
      custody. Hispanic brother from Chicago about whom Ashcroft claimed
      that he was going to use "dirty" bomb. No charges brought till now,
      rights being violated. (U.S. citizen)

      10. Br. Ujamaa, African-American brother from Colorado. Held without
      trial till now. Main fault was that he set up a web site
      called "stopamerica.com."

      11. The Lackawanna (Buffalo) Six. Yemeni brothers (U.S. citizens),
      victims of charges that they went to Afghanistan and perhaps were in
      a gathering addressed by Osama bin Laden. The bootlicker
      organization "American Muslim Council" [AMC] of `iftar in the White
      House' `fame' helped the FBI to bring about these arrests.

      12. The Portland Four (African Americans) including a Muslim sister.
      U.S. citizens arrested on nebulous charges of "trying to travel to
      Afghanistan."

      13. Rabih Haddad from Global Relief Foundation. Facing deportation.

      14.Br. Arnaut from Benevolence relief organization. Held in solitary
      confinement [These two are the victims of the zionist power
      structure trying to stop help from being sent to Muslim widows and
      orphans.]

      There is also a whole list of brothers from the Black
      Liberation movement. Please contact Sis. Motisola Abdallah [see
      letter above] if you can help them.

      Jamaat al-Muslimeen needs volunteers to organize support for
      numbers 9, 10, 11 and 12 in this list.

      LATEST NEWS ON THE CASE OF IMAM JAMIL Al-AMIN
      (From Br. Khalil Abdur-Rahman, Greensboro, North Carolina)

      As salaamu 'alaikum wa Ramadan Mubarak!

      I have just been informed by Imam Jamil that the federal trial (US vs
      Jamil Al-Amin) in Alabama will start on December 9, 2002, in the
      Montgomery Federal Court. This was unexpected. We have less than
      two weeks to get people moblized to go to Alabama. Also, Imam Jamil
      (State of Ga. vs Jamil al-Amin) has a scheduled "hearing for a new
      trial" on December 13, 2002 in Atlanta, Georgia. I can't see how
      the Atlanta date will hold but it is still on the docket. We have
      been up and down with these dates. Nevertheless, we need to get the
      word out on these two dates.

      November 28, 2002

      As salaamu 'alaikum!

      The following is a summary report on the November 7, 2002, pre-trial
      motion hearing held in Federal Court, Montgomery, Alabama, with the
      US vs(Imam) Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin. The report was prepared by Ms.
      Gwen Patton, a friend and former member of SNCC. You may use this
      report as you see fit for purposes of providing information about
      Imam Jamil and his situation. Be sure to give credit to Ms. Patton:

      Hi,

      I went to the pre-trial motion hearing for Jamil Al-Amin this
      morning. I thought Judge Charles Coody was very fair and on several
      (omission) the U. S. government prosecutor, a black attorney named
      Moore, to turn over documents/evidence to the defense attorney John
      Martin. He was in accord with courtroom demeanor, but persistent in
      his arguments. It seem that Martin had the judge's ear in terms of
      legal reasoning. US Attorney Moore was beyond recalcitrant; he wa
      downright stubborn and uncooperative. The judge gave him to 11/13th
      to respond in writing as to why the judge should not grant the
      defense motions: 1. Rule 16--prosecutors refuse to turn over
      surveillance audio tapes, etc. and the paper work, if any, that
      authorized the surveillance; 2. the brady motion--FBI agent Roy
      Campbell has offered information under oath that contradicts
      testimony by eye witnesses who saw Campbell kick and spat in Jamil's
      face while Jamil was on the ground and restrained; eye witnesses in
      White Hall did not see Jamil with a gun, yet Campbell who supposedly
      found the gun the next day claims it was the gun that Jamil used to
      fire on US marshals; incredibly Campbell had a gun exactly like the
      one he claims that Jamil had; witnesses have stated that the FBI
      fired at the US marshals; Campbell was supposedly fired for improper
      behavior upon the arrest of Jamil, but some how Roy was reinstated
      and was suspended for 60 days; defense wants the records of the so-
      called disciplinary hearing to understand the flip-flop, given that
      Campbell has a history of shooting down fleeing suspects and that
      Jamil has been hunted down like an animal (my words) by the FBI
      since the 1060s; the prosecutor does not plan to call Campbell, but
      the defense does and then will impeach him on prejudice,
      credibility; and 3. audio and any other records of "confidential
      informants: and the paper work of authorizing the informants.

      Jamil was not in court . The hearing started at 11:00 AM. It is
      anticipated that the trial will last 1 to 2 weeks. The US prosecutor
      was a pathetic black man who seemed to be inept--the kind needed to
      carry out the marching orders of higher ups.

      Gwen Patton

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.