Iraq: THOUSANDS OF DETAINEES

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2003
      THOUSANDS OF DETAINEES SIT, WAIT IN IRAQ
      Charles J. Hanley, Associated Press, 10/8/03
      http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/ap/ap_story.html/Intl/AP.V8100.AP
      -Iraq-
      Behind-the.html

      BAGHDAD, Iraq - Six months after the United States and Britain ousted
      the
      Baath party government and took control of Iraq, an uncertain
      population of
      Iraqi detainees sits and waits behind prison walls - their numbers
      uncertain, their legal rights in dispute, their living conditions
      hidden
      from public view. Some are accused of common crimes, others of being
      security threats. They are men and women who have left uncertain
      families
      behind.

      The lawyer, gone to the prison on other business, says he saw the man
      sitting in his long overshirt in the dust of the cellblock yard, a
      heavy
      man in his 60s, sunken, weary.

      ``He asked if I could help. He said, `They accuse me of being a
      Baathist.
      I'm not a Baathist.''' But before al-Musawi could even ask his name,
      an
      American soldier rushed up and angrily ordered the lawyer away...