KMart Stab Victim Has Marine Son

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2003
      MUSLIM MOTHER IN FAIRFAX ASSAULT HAS MARINE SON
      Caryle Murphy, Washington Post, 10/9/03
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A914-2003Oct8.html

      A Muslim woman who said she was stabbed in the back outside a Fairfax
      County shopping mall and called a "terrorist" by her assailant is the
      mother of an active-duty U.S. Marine Corps corporal who recently
      returned
      from a three-month tour in Kuwait.

      Michelle Rothstein-Latif, 47, who was not seriously wounded in the
      Sunday
      attack, said she was offended that anyone would think she supported
      terrorism.

      "I don't believe in fanaticism, I'm just a regular American Muslim,"
      said
      the Woodbridge resident, who converted to Islam in 1987.

      Rothstein-Latif also said that more attention is given to incidents in
      which Muslims are perpetrators of violence. "If a man named Abdul
      attacked
      me and I wasn't Muslim," she said, "it'd be front page news."

      Fairfax County police said they are investigating the reported attack
      as
      "an apparent bias crime" and seeking information on the assailant,
      whom
      they described as a white male in his teens...

      The reported attack on Rothstein-Latif is among an increasing number
      of
      reported physical assaults against American Muslims, or people
      perceived to
      be Muslim, according to the Washington-based Council on American
      Islamic
      Relations, a Muslim advocacy group...

      Research director Mohamed Nimer said the council has received reports
      of at
      least 62 hate crimes against Muslims since the start of this year, a
      50
      percent increase over the previous 12 months. Nimer said that is only
      partial list...