British accused of torturing Iraqi

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2003
      British accused of torturing Iraqi

      http://cm.aljazeera.net/Articles/News/ArabWorld/Military+investigating
      +claims+of+torture.htm

      Friday 03 October 2003, 16:33 Makka Time, 13:33 GMT

      British soldiers are responsible for the southern city of Basra

      Amid allegations of torture, the British military is investigating
      the death of a 26-year-old Iraqi man who died in their custody.

      Baha Salim Musa was arrested in the southern Iraqi city of Basra last
      month.

      But after being held for four days, his father was asked to identify
      his body.

      "His face was covered in blood, his nose broken, and the skin on his
      face was torn. There were bruises on his neck and all over his body,"
      Baha's father Dawood told Reuters news agency.

      "One wrist was broken and the flesh exposed where handcuffs had been
      pulled too tight. A sergeant confirmed that a rope had been put round
      his neck."

      Dawood is convinced his son was tortured to death, and wants to know
      what happened.

      The British military, which is responsible for Basra since the war on
      Iraq ended, says it is investigating the issue.

      "Those suspected of any crimes will be tried, and if found guilty,
      punished under the laws of the United Kingdom"

      Lieutenant Colonel David Amos
      acting commander of UK forces

      "Seven men were arrested during a planned operation on the 14th of
      September, and one subsequently died in custody," a British spokesman
      said, adding the Special Investigations Branch of the Royal Military
      Police was investigating Baha's death.

      Lieutenant Colonel David Amos, acting commander of British forces in
      the Basra and Maysan region, said this week that "those suspected of
      any crimes will be tried, and if found guilty, punished under the
      laws of the United Kingdom".

      Orphaned children

      Dawood had just dropped off his son at the Hotel Al-Haithum, where
      Baha worked as a receptionist, when the British raid began. Raids by
      occupation troops to seize weapons or detain
      suspects are common across Iraq.

      "The safe was broken into by the soldiers and the money inside
      seized. They found three rifles and two pistols – needed for the
      security in the hotel," he said.

      "Then they called for reinforcements. That was when I saw my son and
      six of his colleagues lying face down on the floor with their hands
      behind their heads."

      His death left his two young children orphaned – Baha's wife died
      just before the war. Baha had also looked after four of his nephews
      after their father died.

      UK soldiers have had an easier
      time than their US counterparts

      "My son did not belong to any political party," Dawood said. "He
      didn't even read the papers. He always said he wasn't interested in
      the war."

      Kefa Taha, who was in charge of the generator at the hotel, was also
      arrested in the raid. He is currently in a critical condition in
      Basra's Shaiba hospital and unable to talk.

      British army hospital records say that Taha, 44, was admitted
      with "renal failure, rhabdomyolysis and severe bruising to his upper
      abdomen and the right side of his chest".

      "We know that only a few of the soldiers are bad. The soldiers and
      officers we have dealt with since the death have been very
      excellent," Baha's brother Allah said.

      "But maybe this has happened before and gone unpunished. We don't
      want anyone else to suffer like us."