IMAM OPENS CONGRESS WITH PRAYER

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      IMAM OPENS CONGRESS WITH PRAYER

      On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, Imam Qazwini was welcomed as guest
      chaplain to offer the opening prayer for the 108th Congress, first
      session. The following is the text of his prayer:

      "In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

      "Glory be to Allah, the Lord of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad.
      As we commence our legislative day in this 108th Congress, we ask You
      to bestow Your blessings upon us and help our legislators enact that
      which pleases you and ensures the interest of our people. Lend Your
      infinite wisdom to this congress, and allow them to embrace what is
      right, not what is popular.

      "As our nation faces many challenges, we beseech Your guidance. And
      as we pursue those who intend harm to our country, let us seek
      justice rather than revenge. Guide our leaders to use the influence
      of their power as an instrument for the betterment of all humankind
      and peace throughout the world.

      "Oh Allah, endow the people of this great land with a growing trust
      in one another, and an increasing faith in You: Help us all uphold
      our God-given rights of freedom and equality. Allow us never to
      revoke your law by embracing color or creed as tools for superiority.
      As You say in the Holy Koran (49:13):

      "'Oh people, We have created you from one male and one female, and
      made you into nations and tribes, so that you may know one another.
      Verily, the best amongst you are those who are the most pious.'
      Amen."

      Following Imam Qazwini's prayer, Congressman John Dingell gave a
      statement in which he greeted Imam Qazwini and recognized him as
      becoming a leading voice for Muslims in America, recognized his
      efforts to promote Islam in America by helping to bridge the
      differences among the monotheistic faiths and dispelling prejudice.