Barghouthi Tried By Israeli Court

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      Barghouthi tells court "One can't be a Palestinian leader if he
      doesn't fight
      the occupation."

      Occupied Jerusalem: 29 September, 2003 (IAP News)

      Imprisoned Fatah leader Marwan Barghouthi told an Israeli court
      Monday that Palestinians have an inherent right to resist the Israeli
      military occupation of their homeland.

      "We have been suffering under your sinister military occupation for
      the past 36 years, you killed us, you tortured us, you destroyed our
      homes, you seized our land, you made our life an enduring hell. We
      have a legal and moral right to resist your occupation. If you were
      in our shoes, you would do the same as we are doing, you would
      resist," Barghouthi told the District Court in Tel Aviv.

      Barghouthi told the court it had no right to prosecute him since he
      was a citizen of another country and that Israel had no jurisdiction
      over the Palestinian people.

      He reminded Israelis that their state had committed 14 massacres
      against the Palestinians which culminated in the Nakba of 1948 and
      the expulsion of the bulk of the Palestinian people from their
      ancestral homeland and dispersal to the four corners of the globe.

      He described his trial by the Zionist court as "silly and goes
      against the nature of things."

      "It is I and my people who should be trying you for occupying my
      country and tormenting my people. We are your victims, you are our
      tormentors."

      Barghouthi warned Israel against impeding the creation of a viable
      Palestinian state, saying that Palestinians would never accepted a
      truncated and disconnect state on isolated parts of the West Bank as
      envisaged by the Israeli government.

      "You either accept a Palestinian state on all the occupied
      territories of 1967, or we'll force you to accept a bi-national state
      on all mandatory Palestine."

      The imprisoned Fatah leader praised the Israeli Air Force pilots who
      had refused to carry out operations on Palestinian towns and villages
      in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, saying the pilots realized that what
      they had been committing war crimes all along."

      Defying his captors, Barghouthi said the fight against the occupation
      would continue "every minute and every moment," adding that " a man
      cannot be a Palestinian leader if he doesn't fight the occupation."

      Several peace activists and representatives of the European
      Parliament attended the hearing.

      http://www.iap.org E-mails: iapinfo@...