Flotilla sailing from Turkey to break the Siege of Gaza

  • WVNS
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2010
      Flotilla sailing from Turkey to break the Siege of Gaza

      Contact: IHH, Ahmet Emin +90 530 341 19 34
      Free Gaza Movement, Eliza Ernshire +44 754 011 22 94

      [Istanbul, Turkey]

      Yesterday, the Free Gaza Movement and the Turkish Relief Foundation (IHH), announced a joint venture, sending 10 boats in the spring of 2010 to the besieged Gaza strip. Organizations from Greece, Ireland and Sweden have also promised to send boats to join the flotilla with the Free Gaza movement and Turkey.

      Mr. Bulent Yildirim, chairman of the IHH said, "We sail in the spring to Gaza, and our last port is freedom; freedom for the 1.5 million Palestinians denied the right to rebuild their society. We will never stop sailing until Israel's siege is lifted."

      Two cargo ships will be part of the flotilla, one donated by the Malaysia-based Perdana Foundation and one from IHH. Both will be laden with building supplies, generators and educational materials that Israel prohibits from entering Gaza since their brutal attack on the civilian population a year ago.

      The many passenger boats accompanying the cargo ships will carry members of Parliament from countries around the world as well as high-profile journalists and human rights workers.

      According to the chair of the Free Gaza Movement, Huwaida Arraf, "The illegal blockade on Gaza and Israel's continued intransigence make a mockery of international law. If our governments will not take a stance to stop Israel's abuse of the Palestinian people, global civil society is showing that we will."

      Please consider contributing to WVNS today.
      WVNS donation button at eaazi.blogspot.com