Autopsy Shows Mich. Imam Shot 21 Times, Handcuffed
- Autopsy Shows Mich. Imam Shot 21 Times, Handcuffed
Video: Shocking Details of Slain Imam's Autopsy (Fox)
CAIR, other civil liberties groups and Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), who is chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, have all called for an investigation into the death of Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah. Earlier this month, Conyers sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder to ask the Justice Department's civil rights division to investigate both the October shooting and whether the FBI violated the Constitution by using informants in mosques. A report detailing the imam's autopsy is scheduled for official release on Monday.
"The shocking details of the imam's autopsy raise a number of disturbing questions that need to be answered," said Dawud Walid, executive director of CAIR's Michigan chapter. "First of all, did the FBI agents follow established procedure when they shot the imam 21 times? How was the imam shot in the back? Was it proper procedure to handcuff either a dead body or a mortally-wounded suspect? If the agents found the imam alive following the shooting, did they call for medical assistance? All these questions need answers."
Autopsy in imam shooting to be released Monday
January 29. 2010
The Detroit News
Dearborn -- The autopsy of Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah, who was killed three months ago during a gunfight with the FBI at a Dearborn warehouse, is expected to be released Monday.
Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said he likely will hold a press conference at 10:30 a.m. Monday announcing the results.
"We're striving to finish the autopsy part of the investigation so we can release it," Haddad said.
The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed to The Detroit News in December that the report was completed then, but was withheld at Haddad's request because he did not want it released until his department finished its investigation.
Abdullah, 53, was killed Oct. 28 by FBI agents who were about to arrest him during a sting operation. The FBI has accused Abdullah of being the leader of a radical Muslim separatist group involved in fencing stolen goods.
As federal officials were in the process of taking Abdullah into custody at an FBI-controlled warehouse near Michigan Avenue and Oakwood, several shots were fired. When the smoke cleared, Abdullah was dead, along with an FBI dog, which federal agents say was shot and killed by Abdullah.
Muslim leaders have questioned how many times Abdullah was shot, whether he suffered dog bites and if he was handcuffed after being shot. Those questions may be cleared up with the release of the autopsy.
ghunter@... (313) 222-2134
Conyers: Review FBI case on imam
BY BEN SCHMITT and TODD SPANGLER
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS
Jan. 14, 2010
While federal prosecutors were trying to protect vital evidence in a case against a group they described as Islamic extremists, U.S. Rep. John Conyers asked the U.S. Attorney General on Wednesday for a thorough investigation into the shooting death of the group's leader, Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah.
Conyers, a Detroit Democrat who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder calling for the Justice Department's civil rights division to investigate whether the FBI violated First Amendment freedoms by using undercover agents in mosques and other houses of worship.
Conyers cited reports that government informants recorded incriminating statements at Abdullah's mosque before he died in a shootout with authorities during an Oct. 28 raid in Dearborn.
"The shooting of Imam Abdullah has been controversial from the moment the first bullets flew, and passions continue to rise in Detroit and around the world," Conyers said.
Federal authorities have defended the shooting, saying they were conducting a raid of a warehouse linked to a suspected Islamic extremist group when Abdullah opened fire.
Abdullah's autopsy findings have not been released as Dearborn police continue to investigate his killing. Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said Wednesday that he expects the investigation to be finished by Jan. 31.
Eleven defendants in the case are charged in a criminal conspiracy that includes illegal firearms and fencing of stolen goods. Defense lawyers have scoffed at accusations of terrorism.
Prosecutors filed a motion Wednesday asking a judge to order defense lawyers not to copy any of the video or audio evidence from undercover informants.
"In return for defense counsels' assurance that the audio and videotape and other materials will not make their way onto YouTube or into some other public forum, the government has already begun providing discovery," U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade wrote. "The government is working diligently and in good faith to balance the need to provide discovery with the need to safeguard the lives of the sources."
Contact BEN SCHMITT: 313-223-4296
WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE
To subscribe to this group, send an email to:
To leave this list, send an email to:
NEWS ARCHIVE IS OPEN TO PUBLIC VIEW
Need some good karma? Appreciate the service?
Please consider contributing to WVNS today.
WVNS donation button at eaazi.blogspot.com