German firm cancels deal with Iran port due to Israeli pressure

  • WVNS
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      German firm cancels deal with Iran port due to Israeli pressure
      By Barak Ravid
      Haaretz
      January 25, 2010
      http://wp.me/pIUmC-18l

      After heavy diplomatic pressures from the Israeli government, a German construction company on Monday canceled its end of a contract to renovate the Bander Abbas Port in Iran.

      Israel's ambassador to Berlin told Chancellor Angela Merkels' top aides, as well as foreign ministry officials, that Iran has been exporting weapons from that port bound for Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

      Ambassador Yoram Ben Ze'ev stressed that the Gaza-bound weapons ship "Francop," which was recently apprehended by the Israel Defense Forces in the Mediterranean, had been dispatched from that Iranian port.

      A political official said that the Israeli embassy received word just over a week ago of a deal in the works between the Hamburg Company, which is partly owned by the German government, and the Iranian agencies.

      Ben Ze'ev stressed that Israel viewed the contract as German assistance to an Iranian arms deal with terror organizations, and a violation of United Nations resolutions.

      At Israel's request, German officials contacted the company owners and hinted that ir preferred the deal be terminated. Several days later, the company announced that it would withdraw from the contract.

      President Shimon Peres arrived in Berlin on Monday ahead of international Holocaust Memorial Day on Wednesday, during which he is scheduled to address the German parliament in Hebrew.

      The president will also speak to Merkel regarding Germany's financial ties with the Islamic country.

      ===

      Israeli activists: Germany's blanket support for Israel is `harmful and immoral'
      by Adam Horowitz
      January 26, 2010
      http://mondoweiss.net/2010/01/israeli-activists-germanys-blanket-support-for-israel-is-harmful-and-immoral.html

      The following letter is being circulated in advance of Shimon Peres's visit to Germany to commemorate international Holocaust Remembrance Day.

      January 2010
      Shimon Peres Does Not Speak for Us !

      We are writing this letter as Israeli citizens. Some of us are 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation Holocaust survivors, and we are all activists who are pursuing peace and justice for everyone in our troubled region. We wish to express our concern regarding Germany's Middle East policy, which is harmful and immoral. Our appeal also regards the upcoming visit of Israeli president Shimon Peres to Germany this week.

      While it is certainly justified to condemn and act against attacks on innocent Israeli civilians, it is morally unacceptable that German decision-makers consistently ignore, or even defend, Israeli attacks on innocent civilians, which inflict a much higher number of casualties, mostly in Lebanon and in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT). Furthermore, we are concerned about a climate of fear in German politics, when moderate and well-founded criticism of severe Israeli violations of human rights is treated with McCarthyite methods, such as the attacks against Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul and Herman Dierkes.

      When President Shimon Peres lands in Berlin, an honest person should not lavish him with automatic praise, but ask, politely yet firmly, why he has been a member or a senior propagandist for Israeli governments which have used cluster munitions , flechette artillery shells and white phosphorus bombs in densely populated civilian areas in Gaza and Lebanon, have built more settlements in the OPT and have imposed separate legal systems for Israeli settlers in the OPT and their Palestinian neighbors. One can also ask him why he authorized the kidnapping and ill-treatment of an Israeli citizen in Rome (Mr. Mordechai Vanunu, September 1986), a clear violation of international law, and why it should be acceptable for one state in the Middle East to acquire nuclear weapons, a situation which necessarily brings about a dangerous arms race in this volatile region. One can ask him why he authorized, as Prime Minister in April 1996, the mass bombing of villages in Southern Lebanon, explicitly aimed at creating a wave of refugees flooding Beirut. We suspect that Mr. Peres has not learned that it is illegal to inflict lethal collective punishment on a civilian population.

      Germany should obviously draw a lesson from the Holocaust, and other genocidal policies carried out by Germans. The true lesson is that everyone should stand up for universal principles of human rights. Therefore, Germany is morally obliged not only towards Jews living in Israel, but also towards Palestinian and Lebanese civilians.

      President Shimon Peres, who has been responsible for numerous severe human rights violations, should not be regarded as the representative of world Jewry. In fact, he does not even speak for all Israeli Jews. We call on the German government to stop ignoring or justifying severe human rights violations committed by Shimon Peres and the State of Israel, including those documented by the Goldstone Report, and to stop providing the weapons which facilitate these violations.

      Signatories:

      Gali Agnon
      Udi Aloni
      Galit Altshuler
      Adam Yishay Amorai
      Zohar Atai
      Ofra Ben-Artzi
      Ronnie Barkan
      Ilil Bartana
      Eitan Buchvall
      Adi Dagan
      Maayan Dak
      Yossi David
      Shiri Eisner
      Michael Engel
      Eva Ferrero
      Tamar Freed
      Prof. Rachel Giora
      Maya Golan
      Elana Golden
      Vardit Goldner
      AdAr Grayevsky
      Yoav Haas
      Dr. Roni Hammermann
      Iris Hefets
      Shir Hever
      Seffy Hurwitz
      Chaya Hurwitz
      Iaroslav Youssim
      Peretz Kidron (Holocaust refugee)
      Assaf Kintzer
      Felicia Langer (Right Livelihood Award (Alternative Nobel) 1990, Erich-Mühsam-
      Prize 2005)
      Moshe Langer
      Noam Lekach
      Yonatan Mendel
      Zohar Milchgrub
      Susanne Moses
      Regev Nathansohn
      Ofer Neiman
      Dr. David Nir
      Dr. Eyal Nir
      Orly Noy
      Hava Oz
      Prof. Nurit Peled-Elhanan (Sakharov Prize for Human Rights 2001)
      Moshe Perlstein
      Fanny Michaela Reisin
      Attorney Emily Schaeffer
      Itamar Shapira
      Roy Siny
      Nirit Sommerfeld
      Gideon Spiro (survivor of Pogromnacht 1938)
      Shir Sternberg
      Aliyah Strauss
      Sahar Vardi
      Einat Weizman-Diamond
      Elian Weizman
      Maya Wind
      Tom Yuval
      Yahav Zohar
      David Zonsheine
      Moshe Langer

      Please consider contributing to WVNS today.
      WVNS donation button at eaazi.blogspot.com