Reuters photograher remains detained in Iraq

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2009
      As US forces leave Iraq, Reuters photograher
      remains detained despite court order
      http://freedetainees.org/5998

      As the US troops begin their withdrawal from Iraqi cities today, many questions remain about the persons still detained by the US forces.
      Reporters sans Frontières (RSF) has reiterated its call for the release of Reuters photographer Ibrahim Jassam, who has been held since last September.

      "The US armed forces are now withdrawing from the main Iraqi cities after six years of occupation," Paris-based RSF said. "We hope this will result in the release of detainees still held by the Americans, such as Ibrahim Jassam, who was arrested 10 months ago. His detention is illegal as the Iraqi central criminal court dismissed all charges against him last November. He must be freed."

      One of his sisters told RSF by phone: "Ibrahim began a hunger strike four days ago in protest against his illegal detention. His health is deteriorating. We are very worried about him." His family is allowed to visit him every two months". (Newswatch.in)