UK freezes Iran’s Assets

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      UK freezes $1.6 billion of Iran's Assets
      Monday, June 22, 2009
      http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/06/uk-freezes-16-billion-of-irans-assets/

      The UK government has frozen $1.6 billion of Iran's assets.
      British officials made the announcement on Thursday and claim that the money was frozen under international sanctions imposed over
      Tehran's nuclear program. You know, the nuclear program which Iran has every legal right to pursue under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

      UK's economic secretary to the Treasury Ian Pearson said in a written statement to parliament "The total assets frozen in the UK under the EU (European Union) and UN sanctions against Iran are approximately 976,110,000 pounds." Pearson did not elaborate.

      The EU has frozen assets of Iran's biggest bank, Bank Melli.

      Excerpts from the 2007 US National Intelligence Estimate on Iran
      "We assess with high confidence that until fall 2003, Iranian military entities were working under government direction to
      develop nuclear weapons."

      "We judge with high confidence that the halt (of a nuclear weapon program) lasted at least several years."

      "We assess with moderate confidence Tehran had not restarted its nuclear weapons program as of mid-2007, but we do not know whether it currently intends to develop nuclear weapons."

      "We continue to assess with moderate-to-high confidence that Iran does not currently have a nuclear weapon."