Detention of Aafia Siddiqui in Bagram Confirmed

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 5:57 PM
      Binyam Mohamed Confirms Detention of Aafia Siddiqui in Bagram

      PRESS RELEASE
      30th March 2009

      A Cageprisoners interview with released Guantanamo detainee Binyam Mohamed has revealed that he witnessed the detention of Dr Aafia Siddiqui at Bagram Airbase, Afghanistan.

      This new testimony contradicts the official position forwarded by the US government that Dr Siddiqui and her children were not in US custody prior to July 2008. With evidence continually mounting to suggest she was abducted from Karachi in March 2003, the regurgitation of the same lies cannot be allowed to continue, especially in light of her prosecution in the US.

      Spokesman for Cageprisoners, Moazzam Begg, said of the information,

      Many years ago, in the Bagram Detention Facility, I was subjected to the screams of a woman who I was led to believe was my wife. Thank God it wasn't, but after my release, I have discovered females were indeed held by US forces in Bagram and elsewhere. One of them is Aafia Siddiqui. Our suspicions were confirmed when Binyam Mohamed told Cageprisoners during an exclusive interview that he had seen her whilst he was held in Bagram. It is time the US military faced up to what they have done to this poor woman and her children.

      Cageprisoners will be taking part in a press conference on Tuesday 31st March hosted by Lord Nazir Ahmed and Cageprisoners� patron Yvonne Ridley in the House of Lords in order to disclose these latest revelations.

      Cageprisoners is a human rights organisation that exists to raise awareness of the plight of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and other detainees held as part of the War on Terror. We aim to give a voice to the voiceless.

      Media

      Contact: Asim Qureshi
      Email: contact@...
      Number: 0044 (0) 7973264197