Palestine Aid Convoy Reaches Libya

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2009
      Viva Palestina Convoy Update: GAZA VILLAGE IS BORN IN MISRATA
      Mon 3/02/09
      http://4thautobiography.blogspot.com/

      The convoy is in Misrata. The hospitality of the Libyan people,
      government and the Gaddafi Foundation has left the convoy members in
      tears.

      After the the public rally in Tripoli today, they set off with an
      additional 60 Libyan vehicles loaded with humanitarean aid and medicine towards the coastal town of Misrata. They were met with jubilant ordinary Libyans who hold Palestine and Gaza close to their hearts.

      The organisers and the Gaddafi Foundation are ensuring the smooth and
      safe passage of the convoy through Libya by providing everything the
      convoy needs - from free fuel to accomodation and repairs, etc.
      This evening, our drivers and their passengers were being driven in
      coaches to the newly built and inaugurated GAZA VILLAGE on the outskirt of Misrata. It is a tribute to the memory of the fallen martyrs of Gaza and a message to the children of Palestine from a long standing staunch ally of their just cause.

      According to Libyan TV News this evening, the convoy could reach 300
      vehicles by the time it reaches the border. I have just seen the size of some of the HGV's going to Gaza lined up with ours. It is an awsome
      sight, a mammoth task only made possible by some legendary men and
      women.

      In one of the speeches today in Tripoli, one of the convoy leaders said to the crowd that this convoy was not just a Viva Palestina, British, Islamic, Christian, Arab and European but it was first and foremost humanitarian - where all humanity in all its diverse cultures, languages and religions contributed to it.

      One of our convoy members said to the Arabic newspaper Libya Elyoum
      today "This is the best welcome we received. What is different this time is that the authorities did not try to stop the people mingling and getting close to us, nothing was orchestrated, it was natural and
      spontaneous."

      Tomorrow is a big day as Libya celebrates the creation of the Republic
      (Jamahiria).The convoy will head for SIRT where they will savour Libyan hospitality once again.