Turkey offered trade bonanza

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2009
      Iran urged to replace Persian Gulf trade with Turkey

      Turkey offered trade bonanza
      http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=84129§ionid=351020102

      An Iranian official suggests that the country should import its
      European goods via Turkey in place of the Persian Gulf countries.

      The President of Iran's Chamber of Commerce, Mohammad Nahavandian said
      that Tehran and Ankara can pave the ground for such a move, as their
      political relations have improved considerably.

      "The global economic downturn has created many problems for all the
      world's countries, but we should use the situation in the best
      possible way," Nahavandian said in a meeting in Tehran with the
      Turkish State Minister for Foreign Commerce, Kursad Tuzmen.

      He noted that there is an imbalance between Iranian imports and
      exports through some Persian Gulf countries. "If we change the trade
      corridor for the European goods we import, from the Persian Gulf to
      Turkey, we would see a trade balance," he said.

      Iran currently enjoys a considerable amount of trade with the Persian
      Gulf countries, especially the UAE.

      Iran was the most important export destination last year from the
      UAE's main free zone in Dubai with a commerce value of Dh18.6b. The
      next most important export partner was Saudi Arabia, which received
      Dh12.8b, followed by India at Dh12b.

      More than 10,000 Iranian firms, according to the Iranian Business
      Council in Dubai, have investments in the UAE.

      Iranians have recently been treated in a humiliating way by some of
      these trade partners.

      An Iranian MP announced earlier that Iran has decided to discontinue
      the transfer of its investment funds to the UAE and readdress its
      capital to Turkey, following the fingerprinting of its citizens by the
      Persian Gulf state.

      "Fingerprinting of UAE citizens and citizens of any other country
      which humiliates Iranians must continue vigorously," Javad Karimi
      Ghoddousi, a member of Iran's Parliament's National Security and
      Foreign Policy Commission said.

      In addition, Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani Wednesday urged
      the UAE to reconsider its attitude regarding the fingerprinting of
      Iranians entering the country.

      "The UAE should know that the Parliament's demand about their attitude
      is serious," Larijani said, adding that the Iranian lawmakers are
      chagrined when observing the UAE's attitude toward Iranian citizens,
      while the two countries have a large volume of trade, FARS news agency
      reported.