Rumsfeld to stand trial for war crimes?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      Rumsfeld to stand trial for war crimes?
      Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:06:02 GMT

      Rumsfeld (L) knew about tortures.

      A UN official says there is enough evidence that former US defense
      secretary Donald Rumsfeld could be brought to justice for war crimes.

      The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture Manfred Nowak in an
      interview on Monday told CNN that the international body had enough
      evidence to prosecute Rumsfeld for his direct authorization of tortures
      at US detention centers in 2002.
      "We have clear evidence," Nowak said. "In our report that we sent to the
      United Nations, we made it clear that former Defense Secretary Donald
      Rumsfeld clearly authorized torture methods and he was told at that time
      by Alberto Mora, the legal council of the Navy, 'Mr. Secretary, what you
      are actually ordering here amounts to torture.' So, there we have the
      clear evidence that Mr. Rumsfeld knew what he was doing but,
      nevertheless, he ordered torture."

      The UN torture official earlier in an interview with Germany's ZDF
      television had said that "I think the evidence is on the table."
      Nowak said that the United States had an "obligation" to probe former
      President George Bush's Administration for their involvement in torture.

      A bipartisan Senate survey last month revealed that Rumsfeld and other
      high-ranking administration officials were responsible for detainee
      abuse at Guantanamo Bay Prison.

      The Los Angeles Times said on December 12, 2008 that the report directed
      its most pointed criticism at Rumsfeld's decision in December 2002 to
      authorize the use of harsh interrogation techniques at the Guantanamo
      Bay facility. The report described Rumsfeld's directive as "a direct
      cause for detainee abuse" at Guantanamo and concluded that it
      "influenced and contributed to the use of abusive techniques, including
      military working dogs, forced nudity and stress positions, in
      Afghanistan and Iraq."
      The coercive measures were based on a document signed by Bush in
      February, 2002.

      Former Pakistani Guantanamo Bay prisoner, Mohammad Saad in Lahore

      US new President Barack Obama has ordered for the notorious US facility
      at Guantanamo to be shut down. But the so-called "enhanced interrogation
      techniques" have already destroyed the lives of many who had kept for
      years at US prisons worldwide without even charges.

      "It's too painful, it's too deep, it's too dark and fills me with
      sadness... They did everything they could to destroy me when I was
      completely innocent," says former US detainee Mohammad Saad describing
      six years of humiliation, interrogation and ill-treatment under US
      orders in Egypt, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.