NO CHOICE BUT GUILTY

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      NO CHOICE BUT GUILTY
      Michael Powell, Washington Post, 7/29/03
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59245-2003Jul28.html

      LACKAWANNA, N.Y. -- Even now, after the arrests and the anger and the
      world media spotlight, the mystery for neighbors in this old steel
      town remains this: Why would six of their young men so readily agree
      to plead guilty to terror charges, accepting long prison terms far
      from home?

      "These knuckleheads betrayed our trust, and we're disgusted with
      their attendance at the camps in Afghanistan," Mohammed Albanna, 52,
      a leader in the Yemeni community here, said of the six men who have
      admitted to attending an al Qaeda training camp two years ago. "But
      the punishment doesn't fit the crime, or the government's rhetoric.
      It's ridiculous."

      But defense attorneys say the answer is straightforward: The federal
      government implicitly threatened to toss the defendants into a secret
      military prison without trial, where they could languish indefinitely
      without access to courts or lawyers.

      That prospect terrified the men. They accepted prison terms of 61/2
      to 9 years...