Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Turkey Finds Weapons Cache

Expand Messages
  • World View
    Weapons Cache Unearthed in Turkish Coup Plot Global Research January 11, 2009 www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=11737 A large cache of weapons,
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Weapons Cache Unearthed in Turkish Coup Plot
      Global Research
      January 11, 2009

      A large cache of weapons, ammunition and bombs was found yesterday
      buried in Ankara's Gölbaþý district as a result of a police search
      based on a map found in the home of Ýbrahim Þahin, a former head of
      the National Police Department's Special Operations Unit. The
      operation was launched after Þahin recently ordered the assassination
      of non-Muslim minority leaders in Sivas.

      Þahin was detained along with 36 others on Wednesday in the
      investigation into Ergenekon, a clandestine network of groups and
      individuals accused of trying to overthrow the government. Thirty
      types of explosives and bombs as well as two shoulder carried LAWs
      (light-anti tank weapon) were found buried in the ground. Newspapers
      wrapped around the weapons were from the year 2004, the police said.
      According to the initial official list, there were a large number of
      bullets for 9mm guns, two LAWs, 10 hand grenades whose serial numbers
      had been removed and 10 smoke bombs used in training with colored
      smoke. Another boxed explosive was found in the first phases of the
      excavation, the police said. There were also plastic explosives
      buried at the site. The materials found have yet to be examined
      thoroughly at a police crime lab.

      The excavation of the site started on Thursday and continued until
      midday. The teams resumed digging on Friday and located the
      munitions. Excavations were also launched in the Bala, Mamak, Emek,
      Beþtepe, Saklýbahçe and Atatürk Orman Çiftliði districts of the city,
      as well as in the city of Hatay, to locate more weapons possibly
      buried in these areas, based on evidence that emerged from
      investigations following Wednesday's arrests.

      The operation started when Þahin, whose phone conversations had been
      tapped by police for at least two months, recently gave the order to
      finalize plans to assassinate Armenian community members in the city
      of Sivas. Twelve others were detained in Sivas during Wednesday's
      operation. Police also found evidence that the group was plotting to
      kill prominent figures including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoðan,
      Former Chief of General Staff Yaþar Büyükanýt, Police Department
      Intelligence Unit Chief Ramazan Akyürek, journalist Fehmi Koru,
      author Orhan Pamuk and some politicians, including members of the pro-
      Kurdish Democratic Society Party (DTP).

      The fields brought to mind a large number of depots of NATO arms
      found buried during an investigation launched by Italian prosecutor
      Felice Casson, who discovered the existence of Operation Gladio, a
      NATO stay-behind paramilitary force left over from the Cold War. In a
      panel discussion he participated in in Ýstanbul last April, Casson
      said these weapons were found buried in cemeteries, under churches
      and even in caves. Ergenekon is also thought to be a remnant from the
      original Turkish Gladio, which was founded against a possible Soviet
      invasion during the Cold War, but later turned into an organization
      trying to cut off Turkey's ties with the West. The retired generals
      arrested in the Ergenekon investigation seem to have an anti-European
      Union and anti-NATO stance favoring a closer relationship between
      Turkey and Russia and Eurasian nations.

      Analysts said on Friday that the buried weapons might shed light on a
      number of murders committed in the Gölbaþý area prior to the Susurluk
      investigation of 1996, which started when a former police chief, a
      southeastern tribal leader whose men were armed by the state to fight
      separatist violence and an internationally wanted mafia boss were
      involved in an accident near the small township of Susurluk while
      riding in the same car. The police chief and the mafia boss as well
      as his girlfriend, a former model, were killed in the accident. No
      serious arrests followed the ensuing investigation, which had
      exposed, for the first time in modern Turkish history, a gang with
      links to the state.

      Some of the most significant unsolved murders in the area were the
      assassination of Yusuf Ekinci, a lawyer of Kurdish origin, and that
      of retired Maj. Cem Ersever and his girlfriend. Investigators are
      examining possible links between the Gölbaþý weapons and unsolved
      murders in the area in the '90s.

      Ergenekon suspects on the run

      Meanwhile, Lt. Col. Mustafa Dönmez, an Ergenekon suspect whose houses
      in Sakarya and Ankara were found to contain a stockpile of bullets,
      hand grenades and weapons, is now reported to be a fugitive. Police
      called Dönmez's cell phone on Wednesday to inform him that an arrest
      warrant had been issued for him. Dönmez, who assured them he would go
      to a police station "right away," disappeared shortly after the phone
      call. Police claim that when they went at the Adapazarý Central
      Command on Wednesday to capture Dönmez, gendarmes told them the area
      fell under gendarmerie jurisdiction and that they would find Dönmez.
      Later, the gendarmerie told police that they had been unable to
      locate Dönmez and that they believed he had escaped.

      Twenty-two hand grenades, five revolvers and a Kalashnikov rifle as
      well as 8,300 bullets were found in a house belonging to the
      lieutenant colonel in Sakarya. The search in another house belonging
      to Dönmez in Ankara revealed three revolvers, two Kalashnikovs and a
      pair of night-vision binoculars.

      Thirty-seven people in total were detained in the latest wave of
      Ergenekon detentions on Wednesday, including six active members of
      the military as well as seven retired generals. In addition to
      Dönmez, police also on Wednesday searched for Bedrettin Dalan, a
      former mayor of the city of Ýstanbul, but they soon discovered that
      he was in the US. However, some newspapers claimed on Friday that
      Dalan had fled to the US after being tipped off about the Ergenekon

      Political clashes over Ergenekon

      On Thursday, one day after the high-profile detentions, Chief of
      General Staff Gen. Ýlker Baþbuð visited both Prime Minister Recep
      Tayyip Erdoðan and President Abdullah Gül, with no statement on the
      content of the talks other than to say that they were indeed about
      the recent detentions in which some retired generals and active duty
      officers were taken into custody. Newspapers wrote yesterday that
      Baþbuð was seeking special treatment for members of the military.
      According to sources that spoke to several newspapers, Baþbuð
      demanded that members of the military be summoned to the prosecutor's
      office instead of being taken into custody.

      Sources also say Baþbuð demanded that senior generals Hurþit Tolon
      and Þener Eruygur, arrested last year as part of the investigation,
      be released pending trial.

      Baþbuð's visit on Thursday came after a six-hour meeting of the force
      commanders on Wednesday evening, convened immediately after the



      To subscribe to this group, send an email to:


      Need some good karma? Appreciate the service?
      Please consider donating to WVNS today.
      Email ummyakoub@... for instructions.

      To leave this list, send an email to:
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.