3807Belgian Doctors Treat Iraqi Girl

    May 1, 2005
      Belgian Doctors Bill U.S. for Treating Iraqi Girl
      Thu Apr 28, 2005
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050428/ts_nm/iraq_belgium_dc&printer=1

      Belgian doctors sent an Iraqi girl home on Thursday after treating her
      for leg wounds caused by a bomb during the U.S. invasion -- and sent
      the 51,570 euro ($66,650) bill to the U.S. embassy.

      "We haven't heard from them yet," said Bert De Belder, coordinator of
      the humanitarian agency Medical Aid for Third World which brought the
      girl to Belgium.

      "I'm curious to know their reaction," he told Reuters. "We're giving
      them 10 days to respond ... I don't think they will pay it."

      The girl, 15-year-old Hiba Kassim, smiled to reporters as she waited
      for her flight to Jordan to meet her father.

      "Thank you, Belgium," she said.

      Doctors brought Kassim to Belgium last year to try to save her left
      ankle, seriously injured by a cluster bomb that also killed her
      brother in Baghdad in 2003.

      After five operations and weeks of physiotherapy, Kassim is able to
      walk again, but with a slight limp.

      De Belder said he sent the bill to the U.S. embassy because
      international law dictated that an occupying force was responsible for
      the well-being of the country's people. U.S. embassy officials were
      not immediately available for comment. ($1=.7737 Euro)