3672Tariq Aziz seeks fair trial

    Apr 2, 2005
      Tariq Aziz seeks fair trial
      Agence France-Presse
      www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12550166-38201,00.html

      March 15, 2005 - TARIQ Aziz, one of Saddam Hussein's jailed righthand
      men, has issued a handwritten plea asking the international community
      to ensure he receives a fair trial, his son said today.

      The former Iraqi deputy prime minister, the face of Iraq under
      Saddam's regime, is being investigated for crimes against humanity.
      Aziz gave the message, written in English, to his Iraqi lawyer when
      he was interrogated recently by a United Nations panel investigating
      corruption in Iraq's oil-for-food program, his son Ziad Aziz said.

      "To the world public opinion: We hope that you will help us ... We
      need fair treatment, a fair investigation and finally, a fair trial.
      Please help us," reads the message, a copy of which was obtained by
      AFP.

      The note is written on the pages of his lawyer's pocket calendar.

      "We have been (text not clear) for a long time and we have been out
      of our families, no contacts or phones, no letters, even no parcels
      sent to us by our families and not given to us," Aziz wrote.

      Ziad Aziz, who has been living with the rest of his family in Jordan
      since April 2003, said his father was in failing health. He said the
      family had not had any news from Aziz in six months.

      Tariq Aziz surrendered in April 2003 after Baghdad fell to the
      Americans and has since made only one brief appearance in court in
      July 2004.