Visalia

  • Don Tucker
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
      If anyone of you are going to Visalia this year I am looking for some help.

      I have finally located a raising/lowering fixture for my crankup tower and
      the person selling it is going to Visalia. He is willing to transport the
      fixture from his home in AZ to Visalia and suggested that I find someone
      from this area who is going who might be able to transport it from there
      back to OR.

      I cannot go to Visalia this year but would be more than willing to pick up
      some costs if anyone is going down in a pickup or has any means to transport
      the fixture. I have a picture of it in the assembled mode. It consists of
      several smaller pieces with one piece about 10 feet long. The total weight
      is about 150 pounds as I understand it. The 3 longer pieces could possibly
      be fastened to a rooftop rack and the rest set someplace in the vehicle.

      If you think you could help bring this from Visalia back to OR I could meet
      you just about anyway on I5. I am on the coast about halfway between
      Albany/Corvallis and Eugene and can drive over with a small Home Depot
      trailer I have.

      Don W7WLL
    • Dave Walton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26
        Hi All,

             Anyone know when the Visalia DX Convention is?

        --
        Yours in the Hobby,

        Dave Walton - W7CAR
        Rainier, Oregon
      • Drifter

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26
              Hi All,

              I’m curious … how do people get to Visalia?

              Yes they have an airport for your private jet (but mine is in the shop lol).

              Or a 7 hour train ride and another 8 hours of three busses.

              A commercial flight is 7 to 14hours with 2-3 layovers, and $700 to $1500

              Driving is some 14 hours (800 miles * 2 @ 20 mpg = 80 gallons of gas + 1-2 nights in a hotel each way)

              Agree, I’m used to my “day job” and travel to major areas.

              What am I missing?  Buy 1/2 of a K-line, or go to Visalia?

              Scott
              W7SLS

              PS: yes this is slightly tongue in cheek — I would REALLY like to attend DX and Contest University.  Congrats to all that are going!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 26
                  I usually fly to Fresno and drive 1 hour to Visalia. I just booked my Fresno flight for $79 each way. It is a direct flight from PDX. The car is $19 a day.

                  If you are willing to spend more time in the car - flying to Sacramento is an option. I've booked flights there for $49 and cars are cheaper than in Fresno. It is also a direct flight from PDX.

                  I know folks from the club drive but that puts more time in the car than in Visalia.

                  Steve, K6UM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 26
                    There are many hotels near the convention and one attached to the convention center but it was full last summer as soon as they took reservations.
                    Many people share a room to save expenses.  There is one Holiday Inn thats where they used to hold the convention.  It is quite a distance from the convention center in downtown.
                    Some people fly to Sacramento and rent a car.  I think its also possible to fly to Fresno but more expensive than Sacramento.
                    Many people make the drive down in one long day.  The biggest drawback to driving is trying to drive back on Sunday.  The convention ends about 11 AM and even driving fast takes until after midnight to get back,.   Not too bad if carpooling and more than one driver.  I have done that a couple of times.  One time I stopped at Yreka and got a room on the way back.
                    I stumbled into an nice situation.  I met  a guy from Northern Calif who invited me to stop over at his place and that has worked very well.  I drive down there on Thursday and then we go on to Visalia on Friday.

                    Some people include either some tourist sightseeing on their trip or visit family .