Re: Anyone own a WS3610? I need assistance...

  • Not A Faker!
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
      I have heard of other LaCrosse units with a similar problem,
      especially the WS-9013U. The LCD contrast on my unit (a WS-2310)
      has to be cranked all the way up...and the backlight, which is
      supposed to stay on all the time when powered by AC, will not remain
      lit. Apparently, LaCrosse changed that feature later in production
      but did not bother to update that change in the product literature.

      LaCrosse has become notorius for cutting corners. Just ask anyone
      who gets wacky wind readings because the cheap cable they supply is
      not adequately shielded. My intuition tells me your problem is
      likely another result of LaCrosse's shoddy approach to design and
      quality control. You could contact technical support, however you
      run the risk of incurring additional expenses if they determine this
      problem is not related to workmanship issues.

      Good luck!

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech11"
      <stevech@s...> wrote:
      > I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last
      purchase of
      > one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
      > station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a
      new
      > one for a 2nd home...
      >
      > The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the LCD
      > contrast. It is, in my opinion, not usable. I of course set the
      > contrast to MAX (7). I have other LCD termometers, etc, admittedly
      > smaller number of data items, but the '3610 is just unreadable from
      > more than 2 ft. away, and even up close it's marginal.
      >
      > If it looked as good as the photo on the box and website, I'd be
      happy.

      > Anyone else have experience? Are they all like this, meaning doing
      > return and exchange won't solve the problem?
      >
      > stevech@s...
    • stevech
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
        Well, I've sent the WS3610 LCD main unit to them for "repair". If they
        respond with "no trouble found", then I'll return it to the retailer.
        I know it's a competitive market, but really now.
        Do the $500 Davis units also have lame/whimpy LCDs? With no always-on
        backlight?

        The cable noise problem I can deal with.

        Another gripe I've registered with the 3610 is that the serial port is
        W-E-I-R-D. Won't work through a USB to serial (which works with lots of
        other things I have). I think this problem is because they use the
        RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD lines in very nonstandard ways, to include, perhaps, sending
        data with these instead of TD/RD, according to my quick look with a serial
        port analyzer. I may be wrong on this, but that it doesn't work via
        USB/serial is a big problem for them since most laptops and many desktops
        omit the 9 pin serial port now.

        <stevech@s...> wrote:
        > I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last
        purchase of
        > one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
        > station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a
        new
        > one for a 2nd home...
        >
        > The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the LCD
        > contrast. It is, in my opinion, not usable. I of course set the
        > contrast to MAX (7). I have other LCD termometers, etc, admittedly
        > smaller number of data items, but the '3610 is just unreadable from
        > more than 2 ft. away, and even up close it's marginal.
        >
        > If it looked as good as the photo on the box and website, I'd be
        happy.

        > Anyone else have experience? Are they all like this, meaning doing
        > return and exchange won't solve the problem?
        >
        > stevech@s...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Not A Faker!
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
          Luckily, I have a Presario 2100 which does incorporate the old-
          school serial port, so I don't have any USB-related headaches.
          Davis units are less prone to problems, but they cost over $600 to
          put online! From an accuracy standpoint, Davis units really aren't
          any more precise than a LaCrosse unit that is properly sited and
          configured. All things considered, I'm happy with my LaCrosse
          station depsite some of the annoying design flaws.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>