Anyone own a WS3610? I need assistance...

  • stevech11
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
      I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last purchase of
      one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
      station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a new
      one for a 2nd home...

      The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the LCD
      contrast. It is, in my opinion, not usable. I of course set the
      contrast to MAX (7). I have other LCD termometers, etc, admittedly
      smaller number of data items, but the '3610 is just unreadable from
      more than 2 ft. away, and even up close it's marginal.

      If it looked as good as the photo on the box and website, I'd be happy.

      Anyone else have experience? Are they all like this, meaning doing a
      return and exchange won't solve the problem?

      stevech@...
    • Not A Faker!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
        I have heard of other LaCrosse units with a similar problem,
        especially the WS-9013U. The LCD contrast on my unit (a WS-2310)
        has to be cranked all the way up...and the backlight, which is
        supposed to stay on all the time when powered by AC, will not remain
        lit. Apparently, LaCrosse changed that feature later in production
        but did not bother to update that change in the product literature.

        LaCrosse has become notorius for cutting corners. Just ask anyone
        who gets wacky wind readings because the cheap cable they supply is
        not adequately shielded. My intuition tells me your problem is
        likely another result of LaCrosse's shoddy approach to design and
        quality control. You could contact technical support, however you
        run the risk of incurring additional expenses if they determine this
        problem is not related to workmanship issues.

        Good luck!

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech11"
        <stevech@s...> wrote:
        > I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last
        purchase of
        > one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
        > station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a
        new
        > one for a 2nd home...
        >
        > The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the LCD
        > contrast. It is, in my opinion, not usable. I of course set the
        > contrast to MAX (7). I have other LCD termometers, etc, admittedly
        > smaller number of data items, but the '3610 is just unreadable from
        > more than 2 ft. away, and even up close it's marginal.
        >
        > If it looked as good as the photo on the box and website, I'd be
        happy.

        > Anyone else have experience? Are they all like this, meaning doing
        > return and exchange won't solve the problem?
        >
        > stevech@s...
      • stevech
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
          Well, I've sent the WS3610 LCD main unit to them for "repair". If they
          respond with "no trouble found", then I'll return it to the retailer.
          I know it's a competitive market, but really now.
          Do the $500 Davis units also have lame/whimpy LCDs? With no always-on
          backlight?

          The cable noise problem I can deal with.

          Another gripe I've registered with the 3610 is that the serial port is
          W-E-I-R-D. Won't work through a USB to serial (which works with lots of
          other things I have). I think this problem is because they use the
          RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD lines in very nonstandard ways, to include, perhaps, sending
          data with these instead of TD/RD, according to my quick look with a serial
          port analyzer. I may be wrong on this, but that it doesn't work via
          USB/serial is a big problem for them since most laptops and many desktops
          omit the 9 pin serial port now.

          <stevech@s...> wrote:
          > I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last
          purchase of
          > one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
          > station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a
          new
          > one for a 2nd home...
          >
          > The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the LCD
          > contrast. It is, in my opinion, not usable. I of course set the
          > contrast to MAX (7). I have other LCD termometers, etc, admittedly
          > smaller number of data items, but the '3610 is just unreadable from
          > more than 2 ft. away, and even up close it's marginal.
          >
          > If it looked as good as the photo on the box and website, I'd be
          happy.

          > Anyone else have experience? Are they all like this, meaning doing
          > return and exchange won't solve the problem?
          >
          > stevech@s...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Not A Faker!
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
            Luckily, I have a Presario 2100 which does incorporate the old-
            school serial port, so I don't have any USB-related headaches.
            Davis units are less prone to problems, but they cost over $600 to
            put online! From an accuracy standpoint, Davis units really aren't
            any more precise than a LaCrosse unit that is properly sited and
            configured. All things considered, I'm happy with my LaCrosse
            station depsite some of the annoying design flaws.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>