Replacement for Heavyweather.

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      All,

      I am interested in writing a replacement for Heavyweather for the
      Windows platform. The current heavyweather software writes to the
      currdat.lst file only once per minute, even though the data is
      collected every 8 seconds in wired mode. This can result in a loss of
      wind gust data.

      I had submitted a request to the authors of Heavyweather asking them
      to write the currdat.lst file whenever the weather data changes
      rather than once per minute although I do not have much confidence
      that they will do so.

      The other day I experienced a severe storm with high winds. I would
      estimate that the wind speed was at least 60 mph at it's peak. The
      unit was only able to capture speeds at 25 and 22 mph over a 10
      minute period. If the station were updating at 8 seconds, I would
      have probably accurately captured the peak windspeed.

      Since the Heavyweather application cannot accurately capture rapidly
      changing wind speeds, I would like to write a replacement for the
      Heavyweather application.

      Although I could use open2300 to extract data from the unit, the
      consequence would be a loss of the graphical user interface with
      gauges and controls.

      The other possibility is to just display the weather data in a plain
      jane text form on WUHU. This would not be as pretty as Heavyweather
      but it would get the job done.

      If anyone has some programming experience and would like to help me
      writing a replacement for Heavyweather, let me know.

      Thanks.
    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        I have very limited programming skills (I can program in MS VB) but
        would like to assist anyway I can. I am most interested in accurate
        and timely wind gust information whether it be graphical or not but
        a line chart is perhaps the most useful for me - one line for
        average and one line for gust (or any other means of indicating a
        trend)

        Cheers

        David Higgins
        E14
        Canberra, Australia
        http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
          David,

          Unfortunately WUHU is currently only able to collect the weather data
          from the station via HeavyWeather output. The Heavyweather
          application is currently writing the currdat.lst file once per minute
          (even in wired mode that updates the Heavyweather display every 9
          seconds). It may update the data on the screen, but that
          is not available to us. This is a horrible limitation to have,
          especially when we are interested in events of a very short duration
          like wind gust data.

          As an example I experienced a severe storm last month. The winds were
          calm prior to a wind gust that came through the area. I would
          estimate the winds were at least 50-60 mph. Many large trees in the
          area fell, including a large one that narrowly missed my home. When I
          checked the recorded weather gust data, the highest wind that I was
          able to catch was 25 mph. Very disappointing.

          For this reason I posted a message about writing a replacement for
          Heavyweather. Ideally, it would be able to read the weather data
          every 9 seconds or so (as Heavyweather does), and also output this
          data to currdat.lst. It would also be desireable to have a nice user
          interface with gauges, graphs, and so on.

          The only road block I see with writing a replacement is the support
          for the 36xx series. The 23xx series protocol has been successfully
          decoded and the source code is available in C from the open2300
          source code project (see links).

          The alternative to re-writing Heavyweather is to contact LaCrosse and
          ask them for a couple of updates.

          1) Faster update rates for currdat.lst. As mentioned, Heavyweather is
          writing this file only once per minute. I have already requested this
          modification myself.

          2) Better error checking on the weather data. The data sent to
          currdat.lst may or not be checked for errors. My guess is that it is
          not checked.

          I am a bit leery of waiting for LaCrosse to modify their application.
          If the weather enthusiasts are not complaining, there is little
          motivation to do so.

          Thoughts?

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

        • David Higgins
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
            As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.

            What history does LaCrosse have for making mods at users request? If they
            don't do it as a matter of course then waiting for them is likely to be a
            waste of time (I use a Meade LX200GPS scope in my observatory and the
            company does listen to users and makes changes to the scopes
            software/firmware on a regular basis)

            Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it? It's the
            Maximum Gust speed that seems to have been ignored (unless the gust occurred
            inside that 9 second update time) or was it rejected as eronious data?

            <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
            > I have very limited programming skills (I can program in MS VB) but
            > would like to assist anyway I can. I am most interested in
            accurate
            > and timely wind gust information whether it be graphical or not but
            > a line chart is perhaps the most useful for me - one line for
            > average and one line for gust (or any other means of indicating a
            > trend)
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > David Higgins
            > E14
            > Canberra, Australia
            > http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

            > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > All,
            > >
            > > I am interested in writing a replacement for Heavyweather for the
            > > Windows platform. The current heavyweather software writes to the
            > > currdat.lst file only once per minute, even though the data is
            > > collected every 8 seconds in wired mode. This can result in a
            loss
            > of
            > > wind gust data.
            > >
            > > I had submitted a request to the authors of Heavyweather asking
            > them
            > > to write the currdat.lst file whenever the weather data changes
            > > rather than once per minute although I do not have much
            confidence
            > > that they will do so.
            > >
            > > The other day I experienced a severe storm with high winds. I
            > would
            > > estimate that the wind speed was at least 60 mph at it's peak.
            The
            > > unit was only able to capture speeds at 25 and 22 mph over a 10
            > > minute period. If the station were updating at 8 seconds, I would
            > > have probably accurately captured the peak windspeed.
            > >
            > > Since the Heavyweather application cannot accurately capture
            > rapidly
            > > changing wind speeds, I would like to write a replacement for the
            > > Heavyweather application.
            > >
            > > Although I could use open2300 to extract data from the unit, the
            > > consequence would be a loss of the graphical user interface with
            > > gauges and controls.
            > >
            > > The other possibility is to just display the weather data in a
            > plain
            > > jane text form on WUHU. This would not be as pretty as
            > Heavyweather
            > > but it would get the job done.
            > >
            > > If anyone has some programming experience and would like to help
            > me
            > > writing a replacement for Heavyweather, let me know.
            > >
            > > Thanks.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
              As far as I know, they are not really responsive to requests for
              updates / bugs. I am not sure what the history is since I began using
              their products in January.

              The problem with the gust data is that they are not saving the peak
              gust speed every 9 seconds, then writing that to the currdat.lst.

              I suspect they take the last update that occurs when the 5 minute
              period expires, then writing that data to currdat.lst.

              This is not desirable as all of the real gust data is lost.

              <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
              > As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.
              >
              > What history does LaCrosse have for making mods at users request?
              If they
              > don't do it as a matter of course then waiting for them is likely
              to be a
              > waste of time (I use a Meade LX200GPS scope in my observatory and
              the
              > company does listen to users and makes changes to the scopes
              > software/firmware on a regular basis)
              >
              > Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it?
              It's the
              > Maximum Gust speed that seems to have been ignored (unless the gust
              occurred
              > inside that 9 second update time) or was it rejected as eronious
              data?

              > Cheers
              >
              > David

              1/08/2005
            • Scott Thorne
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
                see below

                <higginsdj@b...> wrote:

                > As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.
                [snip]

                > Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it?
                [snip]

                Some ideas for consideration.

                Openess, multiplatform support good.

                Closed software and software developed for one platform ... bad, that
                is part of the existing problem.

                Reliance on HeavyWeather, developing MS VB code, etc. thus have
                disadvantages. Using Java instead of VB for a top layer would be
                better, but WUHU already does that. Use VB for bottom layer? That's
                really not good.

                The existing Open 2300 stuff (http://open2300.sourceforge.net/) is
                multiplatform and being developed in an open environment, and if I
                understand the literature there, reads directly from the base station
                (read: not dependent on La Crosse HeavyWx sw). That seems like one
                good option for a good base to build on. Is this off topic for this
                forum?

                WUHU seems to be great product, given its dependence on the HeavyWx
                base. But we could do better. I'd say discussing pros and cons of
                alternatives to WUHU is on topic.

                A software better model might be ... Read directly from hardware with
                well designed open software designed for the task (something like Open
                2300, but wouldn't have to be that) to act as a software foundation
                (base). Build modular cross platform components that use and build
                upon that base. Java would be good for the applications. There are
                various existing products out there that could be easily utilized as
                components (reused) for the application(s). For example, various
                graphing products exist that could be adapted, elminating need to
                develop that functionality.

                Openess facilitates troubleshooting and feature changes. Modularity
                makes codes reuse easier. Choosing both openess and modularity should
                maximize the number of possible developers. It certainly would draw
                much interest of analysts, developers, users, and software
                distributions (Fedora, etc.).

                You know, if any of these Wx station HW companies (not just La Crosse)
                were to be completely open with their interface specs and were to
                actively cooperate with and support an open software development
                effort, it seems their products would soon emerge as frontrunners in
                product popularity (read "competative advantage"). They could protect
                their hardware IP while supporting open software development. Win-win
                for all. Company gains recognition and brand awarenes for their
                support for open software development. Company builds market share
                and profits. Users benefit from much better software and ability to
                enhance it.

                We wouldn't be complaining about about our inability to overcome 1
                minute data increments. We'd already have implemented the fix ourselves.
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thorne"
                  <thornesa@n...> wrote:

                  See comments below...

> [...]
                  >
                  > You know, if any of these Wx station HW companies (not just La
                  Crosse)
                  > were to be completely open with their interface specs and were to
                  > actively cooperate with and support an open software development
                  > effort, it seems their products would soon emerge as frontrunners in
                  > product popularity (read "competative advantage"). They could
                  protect
                  > their hardware IP while supporting open software development. Win-
                  win
                  > for all. Company gains recognition and brand awarenes for their
                  > support for open software development. Company builds market share
                  > and profits. Users benefit from much better software and ability to
                  > enhance it.
                  >
                  > We wouldn't be complaining about about our inability to overcome 1
                  > minute data increments. We'd already have implemented the fix

                  Scott,

                  Creating an application that can collect data from any weather
                  station and run on any platform would definitely be desirable. In the
                  case of the WS2300, I think reading directly from the interface would
                  be very desirable. The data would definitely be more interesting in
                  rapidly changing conditions.

                  There are two problems I see with directly interfacing. The first is
                  that interface is not completely known. What has been learned about
                  the WS2300 was done so with great effort by one person reverse
                  engineering the protocol. According to posts in the open2300 forum,
                  there are still large holes in the understanding of the memory maps.

                  Given that we accept the current limitations in our understanding of
                  the WS23xx models, and we chose to implement the direct interface
                  only, this would leave other Lacrosse users out of the picture
                  (WS36xx) for instance. LaCrosse has not released any information
                  about the interface and from what I gather from the open2300 forum,
                  it is not a simple TX/RX serial protocol.

                  As you mentioned, LaCrosse including other manufacturers are not
                  opening their hardware interfaces to the public. This being the case,
                  whatever solution is chosen, the framework should be able to support
                  these units as well.

                  Most 'professional' stations have some method for archiving the
                  weather data. A weather station without this capability is pretty
                  much useless in the context of what we are interested in. Therefore
                  we can usually find some way to extract the data from the stations.
                  In the case where the collection capabilities are limited (1 minute
                  updates) I am afraid the only option we have is to appeal to the
                  manufacturer to update their code.

                  I agree that it would definitely be advantageous for the
                  manufacturers to support an open software development community. For
                  the life of me, I do not understand why these and other manufacturers
                  to not get this concept. In a different market, home automation, the
                  case is the same. I am sure that one day it will become obvious to
                  them, but until that time, we will have to find alternatives.

                  Excluding the programming languages or operating systems, there are a
                  few basic features that should be supported:

                  1) Modular data collection. The method of data collection should be
                  isolated so that the rest of the framework is insulated from changing
                  hardware/software implementations. This would allow for direct and
                  indirect interfacing to the stations. New protocols and
                  implementations can easily be added with minimal effort.

                  All types of sensors should be supported including multiple
                  temperature/humidity sensors, soil sensors, luminosity, and even
                  maybe other weather related sensors such as lightening detectors,
                  wind sheer dectors, cloud cover detection. Multiple devices from
                  multiple vendors should be easy added.

                  2)Flexible data exporting. Regardless of how the data is collected,
                  there should be any number of options (including user written) for
                  exporting data. Weather stations could be used for many different
                  systems from agriculture to HVAC to safety systems. The software
                  should be able to facilitate any system that might use weather
                  related data.

                  3) Upload capability via Internet or HAM radio. Support for Weather
                  Underground, CWOP, and yet to be developed websites.

                  4) Weather data presentation.

                  a) Remote presentation via the web: When the data can be uploaded,
                  the presentation of the data could be done via the web. The
                  presentation may be at a central weather station website (like WU) or
                  personal WebPages. More on this in a minute.

                  b)Local presentation. Pretty graphs, charts, gauges, ect. For users
                  without an Internet connection.

                  I suppose on item #4 I am a bit undecided. While it would be nice to
                  have a pretty local user interface with lots of features, I think
                  that the same can be accomplished by creating a website. I noticed
                  the more I use Weather Underground, the less I looked at the
                  Heavyweather interface. If a method could be devised to support both
                  (maybe local web server), then all the better.

                  One more point I think is worth considering is that a centralized web
                  data collection center could have some interesting features that are
                  not available at the current websites. While data is collected and
                  displayed, graphed, there is not much else going on. We can discuss
                  that topic at a later time.

                  Ideas, thoughts?