Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Considering Davis Vantage Pro2

  • Rich Brunnworth
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      No.... he said there was a cable between the wind sensor and the
      temp/humidity sensor.

      Rich

      --
      Rich
    • Joe Torsitano
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        I've had two Davis wired units and consulted on installation of about half a dozen others.  All of them worked perfectly for many years.  In fact the one I used to use for a mobile weather station I gave to someone and they've been using it for over three years.  I don't know what kind of isolation or shielding they used in the LaCrosse (having never used one), but I've never had a problem with the Davis units.

        --
         Joe Torsitano
         weatherforyou.com

        As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much frustration
        with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
        Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part of my
        tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about $500 at
        Frys Electronics) . I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications and
        photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor comes
        with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much like the
        Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors. I
        wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same interference
        problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that much $
        and have the same problems. Anyone?

      • Rich Brunnworth
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          The LaCrosse units use typical unshielded phone cable. A better
          "upgrade" is to use shielded Cat 5 cable.

          Rich

          --
          Rich
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
            Rich,

            I just checked it out, I see what you mean.

            I am sure if there was an issue with that cable and or the
            communications scheme, they would have resolved it long ago.

            After you posted, I remembered where I had the mental image of each
            sensor with it's own solar panels and antennas, it was the OS WMR968.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth
            <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:

            > No.... he said there was a cable between the wind sensor and the
            > temp/humidity sensor.
            >
            > Rich
            >
            > wuhu_software wrote:
            > >

            > > I thought the VP2 was "wireless"?
            > >
            > > Why is there a cable running from the console out to the sensors?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "richb2599"
            > > <richb2599@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much
            frustration
            > > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
            > > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
            of my
            > > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
            $500 at
            > > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site
            Specifications and
            > > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
            comes
            > > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit,

            > --
            > Rich

          • Rich Brunnworth
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
              No problem. (grin)

              Not having a Davis system, I wonder if that cable is a shielded cable?

              I have a LaCrosse system and I know for a fact that the cable LaCrosse
              uses isn't shielded, in fact it is plain telephone cable. (YUCK!!) lol

              Rich

              --
              Rich
            • richb2599
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                Joe, were your units wired to the console? Have you ever had problems
                related to nearby lightning strikes? I've lost two Lacross systems
                from lightning! Could be just bad luck, but it gets expensive.

                Rich

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joe Torsitano
                <jtorsitano@...> wrote:

                > I've had two Davis wired units and consulted on installation of
                about half a dozen others. All of them worked perfectly for many
                years. In fact the one I used to use for a mobile weather station I
                gave to someone and they've been using it for over three years. I
                don't know what kind of isolation or shielding they used in the
                LaCrosse (having never used one), but I've never had a problem with
                the Davis units.

                > --
                > Joe Torsitano
                > weatherforyou.com

                align:right;padding-right:.5em;}

                ______________
                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              • Joe Torsitano
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Yup, when I started there weren't wireless stations.  ;)

                  I haven't installed any stations in areas that have a great amount of lightning.  But I've never had any problems.

                  --
                   Joe Torsitano

                  ____________ __
                  > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                • elton2861
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
                    The Vpro2 does have a cable to connect the anemometer to the
                    temp/humid sensor. It save them from having to have to have 2 wireless
                    transmitters to deal with. I work at a power plant and we have ha
                    Davis Vantage Pro2 on top of one of the boilers at about 100 feet
                    above the ground. I personally installed the unit and it has been
                    flawless for more than 3 years except for the ice storms when
                    everything gets stuck.

                    The wire from the anemometer to the temp/hygro is only 4 conductor
                    wire and seems to be the same as telephone wire. They include the 40
                    feet of wire to allow you to place the anemometer up high in the wind
                    and the temp/hygro down closer to the ground to get the more accurate
                    temp readings that we expect out of quality equipment.

                    As I said the Vpro2 at the power plant has been flawless and there is
                    more EMF at a power plant than any home will likely ever have. My next
                    Weather station will likely be the VPro2.

                    Elton
                    CW9423

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599"

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Thanks Elton,

                      You have convinced me. Too bad we have to shell out the extra $140 to
                      be able to connect to a PC though. I'm going to try changing out the
                      Lacrosse cables with shielded as many on the board have done, but
                      looks like the Davis is in the near future for me.

                      Also, it looks like the weather might let us down a bit for the
                      SuperBowl tomorrow. At least we can close the roof and keep everyone
                      dry!

                      Rich
                      Phoenix, Az

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "elton2861" <edkoehn@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The Vpro2 does have a cable to connect the anemometer to the
                      > temp/humid sensor. It save them from having to have to have 2
                      wireless
                      > transmitters to deal with. I work at a power plant and we have ha
                      > Davis Vantage Pro2 on top of one of the boilers at about 100 feet
                      > above the ground. I personally installed the unit and it has been
                      > flawless for more than 3 years except for the ice storms when
                      > everything gets stuck.
                      >
                      > The wire from the anemometer to the temp/hygro is only 4 conductor
                      > wire and seems to be the same as telephone wire. They include the 40
                      > feet of wire to allow you to place the anemometer up high in the
                      wind
                      > and the temp/hygro down closer to the ground to get the more
                      accurate
                      > temp readings that we expect out of quality equipment.
                      >
                      > As I said the Vpro2 at the power plant has been flawless and there
                      is
                      > more EMF at a power plant than any home will likely ever have. My
                      next
                      > Weather station will likely be the VPro2.
                      >
                      > Elton
                      > CW9423
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599"
                      > <richb2599@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much
                      frustration
                      > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                      > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
                      of my
                      > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
                      $500 at
                      > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications
                      and
                      > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
                      comes
                      > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much
                      like the
                      > > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors.
                      > > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same
                      interference
                      > > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that
                      much $
                      > > and have the same problems. Anyone?

                    • Mark Wyman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008

                        It isn’t just shielding, it is also “signaling”. Davis AFAIK uses differential signaling, which means data receivers can eliminate common mode noise, so shielding isn’t as necessary, where LaCrosse uses single-ended signaling, which is about as bad a design decision you can make (read: cheap). Single-ended is very poor with noise. See RS-232 limitations below.

                        Examples:

                        Single-ended: RS-232

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

                        Differential: RS-485

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485

                        Though I am not certain, I have seen other shabby design choices in LaCrosse products that simply make me cringe.

                        -Mark

                        As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much frustration
                        with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                        Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part of my
                        tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about $500 at
                        Frys Electronics) . I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications and
                        photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor comes
                        with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much like the
                        Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors. I
                        wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same interference
                        problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that much $
                        and have the same problems. Anyone?

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                      • Juha Jäntti
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Mark,

                          I agree. After all these years and we've seen no progress whatsoever.
                          LaCrosse seems to push new models to market but only thing that seem
                          to change is the design (= look) of the station. Their 2-550 (if I
                          remember the model correctly) was a step forward and two backwards:
                          + side: All wireless (Best choice for lightning protection)
                          - side: Normal sensor communication interval is set to 3 minutes (Yuck.)
                          - side: "Live-mode" (updates from sensors every 2 seconds) last for 20
                          seconds at a time (to conserve sensor batteries, they say).

                          Why this station doesn't even come with an option for wired mode as
                          WS23xx and 36xx series do? I'd run my legs off to buy this station if
                          this option was available. Once again, a sign of a certain level of
                          stupidity.

                          There are IT+ models available that transmit weather data almost
                          constantly. Unfortunately none of them (that I'm aware of) come with
                          wired mode option and computer interface.

                          All the new, exciting models having a number '23' imprinted on them
                          are actually all nothing more than a basic WS-2300 series station with
                          some external feature added or changed (like adding a USB-RS232
                          adapter or featuring the cup-design anemometer (I'm talking about the
                          new LaCrosse WS-2350).

                          I'm still waiting for a dream to arrive: A LaCrosse station with a
                          combination of IT+ for wireless, a wired mode possibility with
                          shielded cable(s), Serial/USB computer interface with protocol for
                          WUHU to communicate directly with the console and a console with a
                          screen containing essential measured weather information only - I
                          don't need a named, screen-printed dummy character to tell me what to
                          wear outside.

                          If they really want, they can design a station like this, since the
                          technology for all those dream parts are already there. They have
                          enormous potential in mid-price weather station market where most
                          enthusiasts are, but do they care to use that potential?

                          I bet my money on that they don't care - So far every introduced model
                          has had a "take the money and run"-type flavor after WS-36xx was
                          introduced.

                          Luckily we have Peet Bros as a viable alternative. LaCrosse will
                          eventually lose their share of the market if they don't start doing
                          something and fast.

                          Best Regards,
                          Juha
                          Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
                          Helsinki, Finland
                          CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wyman" <mark@...> wrote:

                          > It isn't just shielding, it is also "signaling". Davis AFAIK uses
                          > differential signaling, which means data receivers can eliminate
                          common mode
                          > noise, so shielding isn't as necessary, where LaCrosse uses single-ended
                          > signaling, which is about as bad a design decision you can make (read:
                          > cheap). Single-ended is very poor with noise. See RS-232 limitations
                          below.

                          > Examples:
                          >
                          > Single-ended: RS-232
                          >
                          > HYPERLINK
                          > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232
                          >
                          > Differential: RS-485
                          >
                          > HYPERLINK
                          > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485
                          >

                          > Though I am not certain, I have seen other shabby design choices in
                          LaCrosse
                          > products that simply make me cringe.
                          >

                          > -Mark
                          >

                          > _____

                          2/1/2008
                          > 9:59 AM

                          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          2/1/2008
                          > 9:59 AM

                        • Ian Gregg
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                            Do you actually need to purchase the extra software (WeatherLink)
                            even if you use the WUHU Software?

                            <richb2599@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > frustration
                            > > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                            > > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
                            > of my
                            > > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
                            > $500 at
                            > > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site
                            Specifications
                            > and
                            > > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
                            > comes
                            > > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much
                            > like the
                            > > > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11
                            connectors.
                            > > > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same
                            > interference
                            > > > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest

                          • Alan Steremberg
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                              Unfortunately the cable to hook the station to your PC is included
                              with the software bundle.. So you need to buy it. Then you can use
                              WUHU or WeatherLink + our weather underground plugin. I personally
                              use WUHU with my Davis, although mine hasn't been online in a while.
                              (Due to neighbor's complaining about looking at my station, and
                              wireless coverage)

                              Alan

                              Weather Underground
                              415-543-5022 x 103