Considering Davis Vantage Pro2

  • richb2599
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much frustration
      with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
      Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part of my
      tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about $500 at
      Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications and
      photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor comes
      with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much like the
      Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors. I
      wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same interference
      problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that much $
      and have the same problems. Anyone?
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        I thought the VP2 was "wireless"?

        Why is there a cable running from the console out to the sensors?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599" <richb2599@...>
        wrote:

        > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much frustration
        > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
        > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part of my
        > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about $500 at
        > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications and
        > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor comes
        > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much like
        the
        > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors. I
        > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same interference
        > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that much
        $
        > and have the same problems. Anyone?

      • Rich Brunnworth
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          No.... he said there was a cable between the wind sensor and the
          temp/humidity sensor.

          Rich

          --
          Rich
        • Joe Torsitano
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
            I've had two Davis wired units and consulted on installation of about half a dozen others.  All of them worked perfectly for many years.  In fact the one I used to use for a mobile weather station I gave to someone and they've been using it for over three years.  I don't know what kind of isolation or shielding they used in the LaCrosse (having never used one), but I've never had a problem with the Davis units.

            --
             Joe Torsitano
             weatherforyou.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
              The LaCrosse units use typical unshielded phone cable. A better
              "upgrade" is to use shielded Cat 5 cable.

              Rich

              --
              Rich
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                Rich,

                I just checked it out, I see what you mean.

                I am sure if there was an issue with that cable and or the
                communications scheme, they would have resolved it long ago.

                After you posted, I remembered where I had the mental image of each
                sensor with it's own solar panels and antennas, it was the OS WMR968.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth
                <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:

                > No.... he said there was a cable between the wind sensor and the
                > temp/humidity sensor.
                >
                > Rich
                >
                > wuhu_software wrote:
                > >

                > > I thought the VP2 was "wireless"?
                > >
                > > Why is there a cable running from the console out to the sensors?
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "richb2599"
                > > <richb2599@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much
                frustration
                > > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                > > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
                of my
                > > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
                $500 at
                > > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site
                Specifications and
                > > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
                comes
                > > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit,

                > --
                > Rich

              • Rich Brunnworth
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                  No problem. (grin)

                  Not having a Davis system, I wonder if that cable is a shielded cable?

                  I have a LaCrosse system and I know for a fact that the cable LaCrosse
                  uses isn't shielded, in fact it is plain telephone cable. (YUCK!!) lol

                  Rich

                  --
                  Rich
                • richb2599
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Joe, were your units wired to the console? Have you ever had problems
                    related to nearby lightning strikes? I've lost two Lacross systems
                    from lightning! Could be just bad luck, but it gets expensive.

                    Rich

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joe Torsitano
                    <jtorsitano@...> wrote:

                    > I've had two Davis wired units and consulted on installation of
                    about half a dozen others. All of them worked perfectly for many
                    years. In fact the one I used to use for a mobile weather station I
                    gave to someone and they've been using it for over three years. I
                    don't know what kind of isolation or shielding they used in the
                    LaCrosse (having never used one), but I've never had a problem with
                    the Davis units.

                    > --
                    > Joe Torsitano
                    > weatherforyou.com

                    align:right;padding-right:.5em;}

                    ______________
                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                  • Joe Torsitano
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Yup, when I started there weren't wireless stations.  ;)

                      I haven't installed any stations in areas that have a great amount of lightning.  But I've never had any problems.

                      --
                       Joe Torsitano

                      ____________ __
                      > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                    • elton2861
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
                        The Vpro2 does have a cable to connect the anemometer to the
                        temp/humid sensor. It save them from having to have to have 2 wireless
                        transmitters to deal with. I work at a power plant and we have ha
                        Davis Vantage Pro2 on top of one of the boilers at about 100 feet
                        above the ground. I personally installed the unit and it has been
                        flawless for more than 3 years except for the ice storms when
                        everything gets stuck.

                        The wire from the anemometer to the temp/hygro is only 4 conductor
                        wire and seems to be the same as telephone wire. They include the 40
                        feet of wire to allow you to place the anemometer up high in the wind
                        and the temp/hygro down closer to the ground to get the more accurate
                        temp readings that we expect out of quality equipment.

                        As I said the Vpro2 at the power plant has been flawless and there is
                        more EMF at a power plant than any home will likely ever have. My next
                        Weather station will likely be the VPro2.

                        Elton
                        CW9423

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
                          Thanks Elton,

                          You have convinced me. Too bad we have to shell out the extra $140 to
                          be able to connect to a PC though. I'm going to try changing out the
                          Lacrosse cables with shielded as many on the board have done, but
                          looks like the Davis is in the near future for me.

                          Also, it looks like the weather might let us down a bit for the
                          SuperBowl tomorrow. At least we can close the roof and keep everyone
                          dry!

                          Rich
                          Phoenix, Az

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "elton2861" <edkoehn@...>
                          wrote:

                          > The Vpro2 does have a cable to connect the anemometer to the
                          > temp/humid sensor. It save them from having to have to have 2
                          wireless
                          > transmitters to deal with. I work at a power plant and we have ha
                          > Davis Vantage Pro2 on top of one of the boilers at about 100 feet
                          > above the ground. I personally installed the unit and it has been
                          > flawless for more than 3 years except for the ice storms when
                          > everything gets stuck.
                          >
                          > The wire from the anemometer to the temp/hygro is only 4 conductor
                          > wire and seems to be the same as telephone wire. They include the 40
                          > feet of wire to allow you to place the anemometer up high in the
                          wind
                          > and the temp/hygro down closer to the ground to get the more
                          accurate
                          > temp readings that we expect out of quality equipment.
                          >
                          > As I said the Vpro2 at the power plant has been flawless and there
                          is
                          > more EMF at a power plant than any home will likely ever have. My
                          next
                          > Weather station will likely be the VPro2.
                          >
                          > Elton
                          > CW9423
                          >
                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599"
                          > <richb2599@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much
                          frustration
                          > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                          > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
                          of my
                          > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
                          $500 at
                          > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications
                          and
                          > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
                          comes
                          > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much
                          like the
                          > > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors.
                          > > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same
                          interference
                          > > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that
                          much $
                          > > and have the same problems. Anyone?

                        • Mark Wyman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008

                            It isn’t just shielding, it is also “signaling”. Davis AFAIK uses differential signaling, which means data receivers can eliminate common mode noise, so shielding isn’t as necessary, where LaCrosse uses single-ended signaling, which is about as bad a design decision you can make (read: cheap). Single-ended is very poor with noise. See RS-232 limitations below.

                            Examples:

                            Single-ended: RS-232

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

                            Differential: RS-485

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485

                            Though I am not certain, I have seen other shabby design choices in LaCrosse products that simply make me cringe.

                            -Mark

                            As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much frustration
                            with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                            Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part of my
                            tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about $500 at
                            Frys Electronics) . I noticed on the Davis web site Specifications and
                            photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor comes
                            with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much like the
                            Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11 connectors. I
                            wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same interference
                            problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest that much $
                            and have the same problems. Anyone?

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                          • Juha Jäntti
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Mark,

                              I agree. After all these years and we've seen no progress whatsoever.
                              LaCrosse seems to push new models to market but only thing that seem
                              to change is the design (= look) of the station. Their 2-550 (if I
                              remember the model correctly) was a step forward and two backwards:
                              + side: All wireless (Best choice for lightning protection)
                              - side: Normal sensor communication interval is set to 3 minutes (Yuck.)
                              - side: "Live-mode" (updates from sensors every 2 seconds) last for 20
                              seconds at a time (to conserve sensor batteries, they say).

                              Why this station doesn't even come with an option for wired mode as
                              WS23xx and 36xx series do? I'd run my legs off to buy this station if
                              this option was available. Once again, a sign of a certain level of
                              stupidity.

                              There are IT+ models available that transmit weather data almost
                              constantly. Unfortunately none of them (that I'm aware of) come with
                              wired mode option and computer interface.

                              All the new, exciting models having a number '23' imprinted on them
                              are actually all nothing more than a basic WS-2300 series station with
                              some external feature added or changed (like adding a USB-RS232
                              adapter or featuring the cup-design anemometer (I'm talking about the
                              new LaCrosse WS-2350).

                              I'm still waiting for a dream to arrive: A LaCrosse station with a
                              combination of IT+ for wireless, a wired mode possibility with
                              shielded cable(s), Serial/USB computer interface with protocol for
                              WUHU to communicate directly with the console and a console with a
                              screen containing essential measured weather information only - I
                              don't need a named, screen-printed dummy character to tell me what to
                              wear outside.

                              If they really want, they can design a station like this, since the
                              technology for all those dream parts are already there. They have
                              enormous potential in mid-price weather station market where most
                              enthusiasts are, but do they care to use that potential?

                              I bet my money on that they don't care - So far every introduced model
                              has had a "take the money and run"-type flavor after WS-36xx was
                              introduced.

                              Luckily we have Peet Bros as a viable alternative. LaCrosse will
                              eventually lose their share of the market if they don't start doing
                              something and fast.

                              Best Regards,
                              Juha
                              Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
                              Helsinki, Finland
                              CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wyman" <mark@...> wrote:

                              > It isn't just shielding, it is also "signaling". Davis AFAIK uses
                              > differential signaling, which means data receivers can eliminate
                              common mode
                              > noise, so shielding isn't as necessary, where LaCrosse uses single-ended
                              > signaling, which is about as bad a design decision you can make (read:
                              > cheap). Single-ended is very poor with noise. See RS-232 limitations
                              below.

                              > Examples:
                              >
                              > Single-ended: RS-232
                              >
                              > HYPERLINK
                              > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232
                              >
                              > Differential: RS-485
                              >
                              > HYPERLINK
                              > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485
                              >

                              > Though I am not certain, I have seen other shabby design choices in
                              LaCrosse
                              > products that simply make me cringe.
                              >

                              > -Mark
                              >

                              > _____

                              2/1/2008
                              > 9:59 AM

                              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              2/1/2008
                              > 9:59 AM

                            • Ian Gregg
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                                Do you actually need to purchase the extra software (WeatherLink)
                                even if you use the WUHU Software?

                                <richb2599@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > frustration
                                > > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
                                > > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
                                > of my
                                > > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
                                > $500 at
                                > > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site
                                Specifications
                                > and
                                > > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
                                > comes
                                > > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much
                                > like the
                                > > > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11
                                connectors.
                                > > > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same
                                > interference
                                > > > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest

                              • Alan Steremberg
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                                  Unfortunately the cable to hook the station to your PC is included
                                  with the software bundle.. So you need to buy it. Then you can use
                                  WUHU or WeatherLink + our weather underground plugin. I personally
                                  use WUHU with my Davis, although mine hasn't been online in a while.
                                  (Due to neighbor's complaining about looking at my station, and
                                  wireless coverage)

                                  Alan

                                  Weather Underground
                                  415-543-5022 x 103