WFY Enhancements (was New WU Forecast page ehancements)

  • jtorsitano
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi Bob,

      weatherforyou.com committed over nine years ago when it started that
      all the proceeds from pages with personal weather station data and a
      percentage of the net income would be put into the support of personal
      weather stations (especially those who actively promote and support
      weatherforyou.com). We also committed to NEVER operate with ANY debt.
      I'm pleased to say that December was a very good month, giving us the
      necessary resources to contract with a number of excellent programmers
      for enhancements we've been wanting to do for quite some time.

      Some of it are things that people said "WU does this, why don't you?"
      There will be pages with data presented in a more "enhanced" format.
      It will include graphs and other items. The data with the local
      forecasts will link to these pages if the contributor doesn't have a
      web site or if they'd prefer not to have their data linked to their
      web site. The priority will still be to direct people to a
      contributor's web site, but this will give an option for the growing
      number of people who don't have a web site and for those using the new
      IP devices.

      The sign-up pages will be improved with more guidance about
      registering, adding a station (or add multiple stations under one
      login) and sending data.

      In conjunction with the co-operated domain pwsweather.com we'll have
      archive data available in a number of different ways. We've been
      storing data back to at least 2003 for every station that sends data.

      We're going to make available a number of different maps for people to
      use on their own web sites.

      There will be new maps displaying the location of stations that send
      data, including state level maps. We may get rid of the current PWS
      map because there seems to be more confusion about it's purpose than
      when it first appeared nine years ago. I hate to leave out those
      stations that have web sites but cannot send data, but I know it was
      the source of a great amount of "is that all your site is?" when some
      people here first visited weatherforyou.com.

      Other things I'll have to wait until they're introduced because we're
      still determining the usability and feasability of certain things, and
      I don't want other sites with more resources to get any ideas. ;)

      This is a good time to let us know of what you think we should add,
      too. Please e-mail me directly, though.

      Probably a lot more detail than you wanted to hear, but there it is.

      --
      Joe Torsitano
      jtorsitano@...

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RS Moreland"
      <bobmoreland@...> wrote:

      > Hi Joe,
      > Any chance you can say more about some of the things in the works. As
      > I recall there was something from you about more pws data being on the
      > W4Y webpage for an individuals' weather site.
      > Can you share?
      > Regards, Bob
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jtorsitano"
      > <jtorsitano@> wrote:
      > >
      > > weatherforyou.com would also appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I
      > > think many underestimate the capabilities of the programmers we have
      > > at our disposal so think other sites can do things we can't. All I'll
      > > say is we have a number of things in the works and in a few months
      > > we'll be proving otherwise. ;)
      > >

      > > --
      > > Joe Torsitano
      > > jtorsitano@
      > > weatherforyou.com
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
      > > <alans@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > The city page redesign has taken a lot of work and time. There are a
      > > > number of things that didn't make it into the redesign yet.
      > > >
      > > > One example being to change the hide / show button image into
      text so
      > > > it can be translated. Another will let people choose the smiley
      icons.

      > > > Todd is planning to add a small icon with the link to the table. Our
      > > > main design concern was trying to get each station to fit on one
      line
      > > > to make the table more usable.
      > > >
      > > > Please continue to email us with constructive criticism.
      > > >
      > > > Alan

      > current

      > > > --
      > > > Alan Steremberg
      > > > Weather Underground
      > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
      > > > http://www.wunderground.com

    • jtorsitano
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
        Sheesh... can't anyone around here take a joke? I haven't seen WU
        doing any sniping, just their extremely dedicated fan. And I'm just
        trying to find out, OFF LIST, why there is such extreme bias against
        weatherforyou.com and a fellow weather enthusiast by a moderator.

        I'd love to, and probably will, "give it a rest." I didn't want this
        to happen. As a new WUHU user once I became more familiar with the
        program I wanted to be able to contribute more and help others as I do
        elsewhere. But out of all the forums I actively participate in this
        is the only one where I can be certain anything I say will be
        criticized in some way by one particular person that won't even tell
        me why they have something against the company I represent or me.
        There is a serious bias against weatherforyou.com for some reason.
        I'm a weather enthusiast, too. I contribute to CWOP. I contribute to
        AWEKAS. I contribute to WU. I can't say what I think is a problem
        with them as a weather station owner that participates in their
        program? I can't say what I like better about weatherforyou.com as
        someone that sends data there? Yet a moderator can point out what's
        wrong with weatherforyou.com in a non-constructive way?

        I made a similar comment in another forum and was told that
        weatherforyou.com is probably not recognized enough for their
        contributions but they are greatly appreciated. Here they get slapped
        by a moderator. I did get an encouraging PM from someone here who
        said they didn't know what the problem was.

        For those who need help with sending their data to
        weatherforyou.com/HAMweather feel free to e-mail me at
        jtorsitano[at]weatherforyou.com. Other contact information is
        available on the web site.

        --
        Joe Torsitano
        weatherforyou.com

        > Please give it a rest, this list isn't a forum for different weather
        > data vendors to snipe at one and other.
        >
        > I for one am here to learn from everyone.
        >
        > Rick
        > KOHWAPAK1
        >
        > http://www.bright.net/~cfr301/weather.htm
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jtorsitano"
        > <jtorsitano@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Steve,
        > >
        > > You're welcome that I pointed it out. :P
        > >
        > > Still waiting to hear what your beef is with me.
        > >

        > > --
        > > Joe Torsitano
        > > jtorsitano@
        > > weatherforyou.com
        > >
        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"
        > > <steve_03222@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > WOW, that was fast. Thanks for adding the website link, checked it
        > > > out and works great.
        > > >
        > > > Steve
        > > >

        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John Celenza"

        > > > the
        > > > the

        > > > products.

        > > > and
        > > > of

        > > > weatherforyou

        > > > level. :(
        > > > of the
        > > > and

        > > > look.

        > > > the current
        > > > in the

        > > > at the

      • D Doty
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
          Joe,
          If you don't stop trying to PUSH your site here, I will stop uploading my data to your site.
          If you want to advertise, please do so on your own forum. That's not what we do here.
          Dennis
          IZAMBALE1

> [...]

          --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Rick" <cfr301@...> wrote:

          > Please give it a rest, this list isn't a forum for different weather
          > data vendors to snipe at one and other.
          >
          > I for one am here to learn from everyone.
          >
          > Rick
          > KOHWAPAK1
          >
          > http://www.bright. net/~cfr301/ weather.htm
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "jtorsitano"
          > <jtorsitano@ > wrote:
          > >
          > > Steve,
          > >
          > > You're welcome that I pointed it out. :P
          > >
          > > Still waiting to hear what your beef is with me.
          > >

          > > --
          > > Joe Torsitano
          > > jtorsitano@
          > > weatherforyou. com
          > >
          > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "steve_03222"
          > > <steve_03222@ > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > WOW, that was fast. Thanks for adding the website link, checked it

        • Joe Torsitano
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
            So others can praise WU for their enhancements and additions but I can't say what we offer?  Fine.  Hardly seems fair.  If I came across as pushing I apologize.  It was only my intention to inform.  I haven't done anything different here than on all the other forums I participate in and have never been accused of improper behavior.

            Whether you send your data or not is your choice.  It really is no more or less work for us.  Our site was created specifically to serve personal weather stations when others were saying they "weren't relevant to (their) content."  While it would be my pleasure to continue to serve you, if you choose not to send data and have people see your contributions is up to you.

            --
             Joe Torsitano
             weatherforyou.com

> [...]

            --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Rick" <cfr301@...> wrote:

            > Please give it a rest, this list isn't a forum for different weather
            > data vendors to snipe at one and other.
            >
            > I for one am here to learn from everyone.
            >
            > Rick
            > KOHWAPAK1
            >
            > http://www.bright. net/~cfr301/ weather.htm
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "jtorsitano"
            > <jtorsitano@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > Steve,
            > >
            > > You're welcome that I pointed it out. :P
            > >
            > > Still waiting to hear what your beef is with me.
            > >

            > > --
            > > Joe Torsitano
            > > jtorsitano@
            > > weatherforyou. com
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "steve_03222"
            > > <steve_03222@ > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > WOW, that was fast. Thanks for adding the website link, checked it

          • Joe Torsitano
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
              BTW... I was ASKED by a member of this group to outline the new services that are going to be offered on that site I can't talk about.

              --
               Joe Torsitano

> [...]

              --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Rick" <cfr301@...> wrote:

              > Please give it a rest, this list isn't a forum for different weather
              > data vendors to snipe at one and other.
              >
              > I for one am here to learn from everyone.
              >
              > Rick
              > KOHWAPAK1
              >
              > http://www.bright. net/~cfr301/ weather.htm
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "jtorsitano"
              > <jtorsitano@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve,
              > >
              > > You're welcome that I pointed it out. :P
              > >
              > > Still waiting to hear what your beef is with me.
              > >

              > > --
              > > Joe Torsitano
              > > jtorsitano@
              > > weatherforyou. com
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "steve_03222"
              > > <steve_03222@ > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > WOW, that was fast. Thanks for adding the website link, checked it

            • Michael Detwiler
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
                Joe:

                On behalf of the people who are level-headed on this forum, I think what you offer is very, very good and for the life of me, I cannot begin to imagine why some people seem to have a problem with you.

                My advice would be to just ignore them.  Thanks for your product and website.

                Sincerely,
                Michael D.

                Joe Torsitano <jtorsitano@...> wrote:
> [...]

                --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Rick" <cfr301@...> wrote:

                > Please give it a rest, this list isn't a forum for different weather
                > data vendors to snipe at one and other.
                >
                > I for one am here to learn from everyone.
                >
                > Rick
                > KOHWAPAK1
                >
                > http://www.bright. net/~cfr301/ weather.htm
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "jtorsitano"
                > <jtorsitano@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > Steve,
                > >
                > > You're welcome that I pointed it out. :P
                > >
                > > Still waiting to hear what your beef is with me.
                > >

                > > --
                > > Joe Torsitano
                > > jtorsitano@
                > > weatherforyou. com
                > >
                > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "steve_03222"
                > > <steve_03222@ > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > WOW, that was fast. Thanks for adding the website link, checked it

                Check out my Weather Blog exclusively at:

                www.cookevilleweatherguy.com

                The Weather Guy

                Grab this Headline Animator

              • RS Moreland
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 3, 2008
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Michael Detwiler
                  <cookevilleweatherguy@...> wrote:

                  > Joe:
                  >
                  > On behalf of the people who are level-headed on this forum, I
                  think what you offer is very, very good and for the life of me, I
                  cannot begin to imagine why some people seem to have a problem with you.

                  > My advice would be to just ignore them. Thanks for your product
                  and website.

                  > Sincerely,
                  > Michael D.

                  I agree Michael. Well said.

                  Regards, Bob

                  > Joe Torsitano <jtorsitano@...> wrote:
                  > So others can praise WU for their enhancements and
                  additions but I can't say what we offer? Fine. Hardly seems fair.
                  If I came across as pushing I apologize. It was only my intention to
                  inform. I haven't done anything different here than on all the other
                  forums I participate in and have never been accused of improper behavior.

                  > Whether you send your data or not is your choice. It really is no
                  more or less work for us. Our site was created specifically to serve
                  personal weather stations when others were saying they "weren't
                  relevant to (their) content." While it would be my pleasure to
                  continue to serve you, if you choose not to send data and have people
                  see your contributions is up to you.

                  > --
                  > Joe Torsitano
                  > weatherforyou.com

                  Search.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  Search.

                  > Check out my Weather Blog exclusively at:
                  >

                  > www.cookevilleweatherguy.com
                  >

                  > Grab this Headline Animator
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  Search.

                • michrina1
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 3, 2008
                    I agree with Michael and Bob.

                    Just ignore them, Joe. You were asked a question and gave an answer
                    that was articulate and complete.

                    Tom

                    <bobmoreland@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Michael Detwiler
                    > <cookevilleweatherguy@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Joe:
                    > >
                    > > On behalf of the people who are level-headed on this forum, I
                    > think what you offer is very, very good and for the life of me, I
                    > cannot begin to imagine why some people seem to have a problem with
                    you.

                    > > My advice would be to just ignore them. Thanks for your product
                    > and website.
                    > >
                    > > Sincerely,
                    > > Michael D.
                    >
                    > I agree Michael. Well said.
                    >
                    > Regards, Bob
                    >

                    > > Joe Torsitano <jtorsitano@> wrote:
                    > > So others can praise WU for their enhancements and
                    > additions but I can't say what we offer? Fine. Hardly seems fair.
                    > If I came across as pushing I apologize. It was only my intention
                    > inform. I haven't done anything different here than on all the
                    other
                    > forums I participate in and have never been accused of improper
                    behavior.

                    > > Whether you send your data or not is your choice. It really is no
                    > more or less work for us. Our site was created specifically to
                    serve
                    > personal weather stations when others were saying they "weren't
                    > relevant to (their) content." While it would be my pleasure to
                    > continue to serve you, if you choose not to send data and have
                    people
                    > see your contributions is up to you.
                    > >

                    > > --
                    > > Joe Torsitano