Suggestion for enhancement: FTP Transfer

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi all...

      Here's a feature I'd really love to see in WUHU, at some point of time:

      An integrated, simple FTP Client, that connects to an FTP Server or an
      array of FTP servers specified in WUHU Configuration Data.ini or some
      similar method using the schedule set by the Minimum Upload Interval in
      WUHU.

      The reason I'd love to see this in WUHU is that it would eliminate a
      need for a separate FTP Client software running next to WUHU. For my
      part, I'd be sending currdat.lst file to an external server for further
      parsing. No logfile generation necessary.

      Now... Let me clarify, that I'm aware Windows has it's own FTP client,
      but that annoying Command Prompt window popping up every time the
      scheduled transfer occurs has become a real hair-ripper and I haven't
      found a way to make this happen in background with no additional
      windows popping up.

      There are many types of clients available, but they all have one thing
      in common: All of them counts as an additional program to be run on a
      machine and I'm striving for as simple software configuration as
      possible.

      Just wondering.. How easy/difficult would this be to implement?
      Comments, ideas, anyone? :-)

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        Juha,

        If you have already created the setup to use Windows FTP and the only
        issue is the window popping up, there is an easy way to solve that.

        When you launch the ftp program from WUHU as an action, you can
        include a keyword that will prevent a window from being shown.

        For example, lets say you have this as an action:

        ftp.exe "-n -s:c:\Heavyweather\FTPScript.txt"

        Just put silent: in front of the action like this:

        silent:ftp.exe "-n -s:c:\Heavyweather\FTPScript.txt"

        The program will be launched without a console window.

        If that works for you, let me know.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
        <jjantti2@...> wrote:

        > Hi all...
        >
        > Here's a feature I'd really love to see in WUHU, at some point of
        time:

        > An integrated, simple FTP Client, that connects to an FTP Server or
        an
        > array of FTP servers specified in WUHU Configuration Data.ini or
        some
        > similar method using the schedule set by the Minimum Upload
        Interval in
        > WUHU.
        >
        > The reason I'd love to see this in WUHU is that it would eliminate
        > need for a separate FTP Client software running next to WUHU. For
        my
        > part, I'd be sending currdat.lst file to an external server for
        further
        > parsing. No logfile generation necessary.
        >
        > Now... Let me clarify, that I'm aware Windows has it's own FTP
        client,
        > but that annoying Command Prompt window popping up every time the
        > scheduled transfer occurs has become a real hair-ripper and I
        haven't
        > found a way to make this happen in background with no additional
        > windows popping up.
        >
        > There are many types of clients available, but they all have one
        thing
        > in common: All of them counts as an additional program to be run on
        > machine and I'm striving for as simple software configuration as
        > possible.
        >
        > Just wondering.. How easy/difficult would this be to implement?
        > Comments, ideas, anyone? :-)
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Juha
        > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
        > Helsinki, Finland
        > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      • Juha Jäntti
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          Heath,

          So far I've been using Windows FTP as the only option and haven't
          used (or even checked) WUHU's Actions at all. This looks very, very
          promising.

          This program never cease to amaze me how flexible it is....
          I'll let you know how it turned out.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
            Juha,

            Let me know how it works out.

            One thing I was going to point out on the actions, if you have a long
            path in an argument, you must enclose it in double quotes.

            The example I gave was:

            ftp.exe "-n -s:c:\Heavyweather\FTPScript.txt"

            And that works because the -s:C:\Heavyweather\FTPScript.txt argument
            does not contain spaces.

            But lets say it is located in C:\Program Files\WUHU:

            ftp.exe "-n "-s:c:\Program Files\WUHU\FTPScript.txt""

            As you can see, the argument with spaces that must be considered as
            one arguement requires the extra set of double quotes.

            Good luck.

            <jjantti2@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > client,
            > > > but that annoying Command Prompt window popping up every time
            the
            > > > scheduled transfer occurs has become a real hair-ripper and I
            > > haven't
            > > > found a way to make this happen in background with no
            additional
            > > > windows popping up.
            > > >
            > > > There are many types of clients available, but they all have
            one
            > > thing
            > > > in common: All of them counts as an additional program to be
            run
            > on
            > > > machine and I'm striving for as simple software configuration
            as
            > > > possible.
            > > >
            > > > Just wondering.. How easy/difficult would this be to implement?

          • Juha Jäntti
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
              Heath,

              It works like a charm! The Alerts/Actions-part of WUHU is powerful
              beyond my wildest expectations. I now have a second station throwing
              weather data in and it is sending this data every five minutes. :D

              Thank you very much for pointing me to a right direction.

              Now that I have it running this way, how about having it send data
              every minute instead of five? Do you have any suggestion how I do
              that?

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
                Juha,

                Right now the update alarm is tied to either every update, or the
                general interval update (300 seconds minimum).

                It is possible that a generic timed alarm could be created. I will
                give it some thought.

                Thanks.