La Cross data history.dat format?

  • Al Adrian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2005
      Anyone have any pointers to decoding the WS-3200 history.dat file format?

      I'd like to make a project of having a go at improving on their
      software for reporting graphs, and accessing the data from other
      computers on my network... too bad they changed the comms format from
      the 2300...

      Al...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2005
        Al,

        I do not have any info on decoding the 3200 history.dat file although
        I would suspect it is a slightly modified version from the 23xx.
        Perhaps they added an extra field or two?

        I have some example Pascal source for decoding the 23xx history.dat.
        See HistDec.ZIP in the files section.

        I would try deleting the history file, allow one record to be written
        then attempt to decode it.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Al Adrian"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26 5:12 AM
          Below are the formats for the history.dat for versions 2.0 beta and
          HeavyWeatherPro V1.1.

          I found this info at:

          http://www.niftythings.org/HeavyWeather%20History%20Format.txt

          HeavyWeather History File Format
          --------------------------------

          Last Updated 2005/7/8
          Compiled by Ben Udall

          By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
          HeavyWeather folder. HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two
          different
          formats, both of which are presented below. Initial format
          information
          for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
          (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

          *******************

          HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
          La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

          Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the
          beginning of
          the file (no header).

          Row
          Offset Type Name Unit
          ------ --------- ---------------- -----
          00 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 1)
          04 ULong [4] Timestamp seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00
          (GMT)
          08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
          12 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
          16 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
          20 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
          24 Float [4] Indoor Temp Celsius
          28 Float [4] Outdoor Temp Celsius
          32 UWord [2] Indoor Humidity %
          34 UWord [2] Outdoor Humidity %

          At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing
          information about
          the dataset as a whole.

          Offset Type Description
          ------ --------- ----------------
          00 ULong [4] unknown
          04 Ulong [4] unknown (0)
          08 Float [4] unknown (5.698)
          12 ULong [4] unknown (0)
          16 ULong [4] Number of rows
          20 ULong [4] Timestamp of the first row of data
          24 ULong [4] Timestamp of the last row of data

          *******************

          HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
          La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

          Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the
          beginning of
          the file (no header).

          ROW
          OFFSET Type Name Unit
          ------ --------- ---------------- -----
          00 Double [8] Timestamp days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00
          (GMT)
          08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
          12 Float [4] Relative Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
          16 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
          20 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
          24 Float [4] Wind Gust meters/second
          28 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
          32 Float [4] New Rainfall millimeters
          36 Float [4] Indoor Temp celsius
          40 Float [4] Outdoor Temp celsius
          44 Float [4] Indoor Humidity %
          48 Float [4] Outdoor Humidity %
          52 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 0)

          Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents
          fractions of
          a day. This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.
          More
          information about this type can be found here:
          http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

          *******************

          Wind Direction

          Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15. To get the
          wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5. To get compass
          directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
          Northeast, etc...
          0 N
          1 NNE
          2 NE