WUHU polling and upload stuff.

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hopefully I can clarify how WUHU gathers data and decides when to
      upload data to the Internet.

      When it comes to the La Crosse stations, WUHU is continually
      gathering new data from the console. When data is read from the
      console, it gathers all of the weather related data like temperature,
      pressure, wind speeds, at the same time. After all of the variables
      have been read and stored away, this is considered to be a new "data
      set". All readings are retained in memory until the data time stamp
      expires (you can specify that in the general settings, Hours of data
      in memory). You can hold up to one week of data in memory and analyze
      the data in the statistics area or chart the data.

      The WS-36XX is different from the WS-23XX. The WS-36XX is polled
      constantly, with a .5 second delay between each poll for new data.
      When data is read from the console, it is considered new, whether or
      not any of the sensor values have changed. Since the WS-36XX is not
      affected by frequent polling (as the WS-23XX is, much more on that
      later), there is no attempt to coordinate when new data will actually
      arrive from the remote sensors. It is my understanding that wired
      mode allows the console to update the remote sensors every 15 seconds
      or so, versus 30-120 seconds depending on wind conditions.

      The WMR968 uses a completely different scheme. The WMR968 sends data
      to the PC in small pieces, apparently whenever data comes in from the
      individual sensors. When any new sensor data is received, the set as
      a whole is treated as a new data set.

      The WS-23XX requires a more complex scheme to optimize the number of
      transactions over a period of time.

      The frequency that WUHU polls the console WS-23XX is determined by
      the console itself. There is a value in the console that tells WUHU
      when the next collection from the remote thermo unit will occur.

      If you are in wired mode, the console will collect remote sensor data
      about every 8 to 10 seconds. In wirless mode, depending on the wind
      conditions, the console will collect data ever 30 seconds to 120
      seconds.

      You can determine how often the console is collecting the remote
      sensor data by finding a small radio icon that is shown during the
      process. It will be displayed every 7-8 seconds (in wired mode), and
      should stay on for 2-3 seconds. In wireless mode, this icon may not
      appear for a minute or more.

      The console requires about 2.5 to 3 seconds to collect and process
      the data from the remote sensor. When the console is performing this
      processing, it does not like to be interrupted. Most of the time, the
      console will ignore requests for data from the PC. If the software
      presses the issue, and demands data when it is being ignored (by
      quickly re-sending the request), the console will take much longer to
      finish processing the remote data. When testing the software, I have
      seen the console require 30 seconds to finish processing remote
      sensor data when it should only take about 2-3 seconds.

      So the key to communicating with the WS-23XX station is to figure out
      when it will be collecting remote data, give it some time to process
      the remote data, then collect the data as quickly as you can. There
      is not a lot of spare time to be had during this process.

      WUHU has one configuration variable that may be changed related to
      the polling mechanism. By default, WUHU will give the console 2.8
      seconds to collect and process the remote sensor data. This value was
      determined by trial and error. You can modify this variable by added
      the following in the WUHU configuration INI file's [General Settings]
      section.

      WS23XX Communications Delay=2800

      The value specifies the numner of milliseconds. In this example, the
      default of 2.8 seconds is specified.

      Other applications like Weather Display could use a completely
      different scheme to collect data. For example, a different
      application might read temperature, then perform an upload, the next
      time it might read wind speed and peform an upload. There are many
      different ways of implementing the protocol and upload schemes. In
      the case of WUHU and the WS-23XX, it collects all of the sensor data
      from the console every 8 seconds. I am pretty confident that you can
      not read all of the data out of a WS-23XX any faster than it is
      currently doing.

      For completeness sake, file monitoring (currdat.lst monitoring) mode
      will watch the file for any changes created by the Heavyweather or
      Heavyweather application. When the change is detected, all of the
      relevant data is read from the file, just as it is from the console.
      This is then considered to be a new data set.

      When it comes to uploading data, Rapid Fire is unique in that when
      ever data is read from the console (or from a file), the information
      is sent to WU whether or not any of the individual variables like
      temperature or wind speed has changed. In the rapid fire data packet,
      none, some, or several variables, may or may not change at the same
      time. No attempt is made to reduce the number of uploads based on
      changing data, it just send the entire data set that has been read
      from the console (or file).

      CWOP, AWEKAS, and Hamweather uploads only happen when the Minimum
      Upload Interval has expired. This value is specified in the general
      settings. The default value is 300 seconds (5 mins). The minimum
      allow value is also 300 seconds. After the interval has expired, and
      the next set of data is read from the console, the uploads will
      occur. Every weather server uses a different protocol and specifies
      different averaging techniques.

      The best way to determine when new data is being collected from the
      console or sent to a weather server is to watch the Updates (or
      Uploads) field. At the left side of the screen, under the statistics,
      you will find the Updates field. The meaning of the field is
      Success/Attemps. Everytime an attempt is made to communicate the the
      console, the Attempts value will change. If the data is read
      successfuly, the Success field will change.

      On a WS-23XX, you might notice that there are failures over a period
      of 24 hours. The reason for this is that during the evening hours
      (12am to 7am), the WS-23XX attempts to receive the radio time signal.
      It makes the attempt for a couple minutes at the top of each hour.
      When it is trying to receive the radio signal, it ignores the PCs
      request for information. When a communications failure occurs, WUHU
      checks the PCs clock and determines whether the console is attempting
      to synchronize it's clock. If the errors happen during these small
      time windows, the errors are not posted to the log and are ignored.
      The WS-36XX does not have this strange behavior and is apparently
      able to multi-task unlike the WS-23XX units.

      When it comes to tracking the upload of the data to the weather
      servers, it uses the same scheme as the "Updates" field although it
      is labeled "Uploads" (Success/Attempts). Each weather server has it's
      own Uploads field.

      For the most part, viewing the rapid fire data via the web on the
      forecast page or by viewing the rapid fire flash animation is pretty
      reliable. As someone alluded to in the earlier posts, you can tell
      when new data is sent to WU by looking at the wind chart. When new
      data is seen by WU, a new segment will be added to the wind chart. If
      there is no new data, the chart will not update (even though the
      timestamp flashes). The rate at which the timestamp at the upper
      right of the flash animation changes has nothing to do with when new
      data is actually sent to WU.

      Programs like WUHU do tell WU at which rate to update the flash.
      Originally I was passing 5 seconds to WU. This created confusion and
      some users thought that it was not updating the flash animation fast
      enough. Since all of the other weather applications were using 2.5
      seconds, irrespective of how often data was collected from the
      console, I set this value to 2.5 as well for all station types.

      Although the WU rapid fire is pretty reliable, the only real way to
      measure how fast the updates are occurring is by watching the Uploads
      (Success/Attempts) values. If the data is sent to WU, but it does not
      appear on the web page or the flash animation, that is completely out
      of the control of WUHU (or any other application that uploads data).
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
        Very Nice of you to go into that detail, Most of what I thought I knew
        was right I for one appreciate you taking the time to explain all that
        now I know for sure whats right and wrong and will direct those with
        questions to read this POST VERY GOOD Happy New Year

        Rick
        KOHWAPAK1

> [...]
        > right of the flash animation changes has nothing to do with when new
        > data is actually sent to WU.
        >
        > Programs like WUHU do tell WU at which rate to update the flash.
        > Originally I was passing 5 seconds to WU. This created confusion and
        > some users thought that it was not updating the flash animation fast
        > enough. Since all of the other weather applications were using 2.5
        > seconds, irrespective of how often data was collected from the
        > console, I set this value to 2.5 as well for all station types.
        >
        > Although the WU rapid fire is pretty reliable, the only real way to
        > measure how fast the updates are occurring is by watching the Uploads
        > (Success/Attempts) values. If the data is sent to WU, but it does not
        > appear on the web page or the flash animation, that is completely out
        > of the control of WUHU (or any other application that uploads data).

      • k5kee / Deborah Kee
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
          I cannot thank you enough for this wonderful, well written post. Certainly a keeper - going in to my "Wx" file for future reference.

          Happy New Year!

          ~ Deborah

          --
              73's  de   K5KEE   Deborah
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
            Excellent write-up! Thanks for the info and
            clarifications.

            Jim

            === message truncated ===

            Be a better friend, newshound, and