Re: Troubles at Weather Underground...

  • Not A Faker!
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      I installed the new version of WUHU today, and unfortunately it
      uploaded a 48 MPH wind gust (which was completely erroneous) to both
      CWOP and WeatherUnderground. I immediately switched back to
      wireless mode, where this doesn't happen very often.

      LaCrosse really should take a look this problem instead to telling
      people to rip out their crappy wires and put in new ones. What if
      GM sold a car with a faulty engine and told the
      customer, "Yeah...sorry about that. You'll have to put in a better
      engine than the one we installed." They'd be out of business by the
      end of this year!

      I hear LaCrosse's so-called technical support is an even bigger joke
      than their faux anemometer readings.

      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

      > I see the same things at the official stations. One thing you
      notice
      > about the offical stations is that they are only uploading once
      per
      > hour, so the graphs look smoother. They are probably also
      averaging
      > each hour.
      >
      > BTW, I uploaded a new version of the software that will hopefully
      > mask out the occasional bogus readings.
      >
      > If you decide to go back to wired mode, let me know if this helps.
      > can also add more checking if we see bogus readings.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
      > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
      > > There is a Weatherbug station three blocks from me in town that
      > uses
      > > a Davis model. Their temperature reading is always 4-7 degrees
      > > cooler than every other "official" reading in the area. I've
      also
      > > noticed the official NWS station in Clarion, which is 25 miles
      from
      > > my location, tends to read very hot between 3-7PM this time of
      > > year. Even the official data is subject to the same quirks our
      > > amateur equipment have.

      > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > As far as the temperature goes, regardless of the model
      (Davis,
      > > > LaCrosse), it is pretty difficult to find a spot that is not
      > > affected
      > > > by the morning or evening Sun.
      > > >
      > > > As you mentioned, few are living in an open field to get
      accurate
      > > > wind data as well.
      > > >
      > > > What is funny that the people who own Davis stations clamor
      about
      > > the
      > > > Davis accuracy and the inaccuracy of other stations.
      Personally,
      > > > think their claims are unjustified.
      > > >
      > > > It is also funny to note that for the price of the WeatherLink
      > > > hardware and software (required to communicate with the PC),
      you
      > > > could buy a complete LaCrosse station with software.
      > > >
      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
      > > official
      > > little
      > > is